Job location: Dadaab
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people.
NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 4000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents.
In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been present in Somalia since early 2004 and has since expanded its Horn of Africa Programme to Kenya in 2006 and to Ethiopia in 2011.
Since 2004, the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has demonstrated a regional competence and expertise in working with displaced populations.
The Regional Office is based in Nairobi, Kenya with offices and operations in Somalia (Puntland, Somaliland and Mogadishu), Kenya (Dadaab and Kakuma ), Ethiopia (Addis Ababa, Dolo Ado, Shire,Gambella and Asosa), South Sudan (Juba, Awil, Alek and Aweril) and Yemen (Sa’naa and Aden).
The NRC Horn of Africa & Yemen mission is an expanding programme. NRC started its operations in Kenya in the refugee camps in Dadaab in February 2007.
The Project Officer will be responsible in implementing the project activities under the direct guidance of the ICLA Project Coordinator and overall supervision of the Deputy Area Manager.
- Ensure compliance with NRC policies, guidelines and standards
- Ensure compliance with ICLA CC strategy, tools, handbooks, guidelines and standards
- Responsible for implementation of technical activities in the ICLA project in Dadaab
- Responsible for tracking of financial expenditures of the project
- Responsible for the quality control and monitoring of the Voluntary Return activities
- Responsible for Voluntary Return project documentation
- Provide technical support and capacity building towards project staff
- Provide specific technical analysis and feedback to NRC representatives in coordination forums
- Assess, promote and document ideas for technical improvement and further program development options
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and assess new and better ways to assist
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Responsible for updating of Somali country of origin information to ensure it is relevant and accurate.
- Responsible for the quality assurance of the translation of the information in Somali language and production of high quality pamphlets.
- Ensure regular information sharing, mine risk awareness and HLP awareness for returnees.
- Ensure all returnees have received return assistance package at departure from Dadaab.
- Develop ICLA proposals, ensure effective implementation and documentation of lessons learnt.
- Ensure proper project budget monitoring and efficient utilization of the funds.
- Supervise, evaluate and appraise the Project Assistant(s), providing technical guidance when needed.
- University graduate in Law or Social Work with 2 years ICLA project implementation experience
- Knowledgeable in communicating in Somalia language is an added advantage.
- Experience from working within technical expertise area in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Core competency expertise
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Knowledge and experience in serving refugees in harsh and insecure environment.
- Having knowledge and experience of conducting voluntary repatriation project start up.
- Experience in durable solution activities for IDPs and refugees.
Education field: Law
Education level: College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Planning and delivering results
- Working with people
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environments
Duty Station: Dadaab
- Location: Kenya
- Industry: Emergency Relief
- Special field: Information, Counselling & Legal Assistance
- Role: Supervisor
How to Apply