Liaison Officer Job at Norwegian Refugee Council
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 4000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been present in Somalia since early 2004 and has since expanded its Horn of Africa Programme to Kenya in 2006 and to Ethiopia in 2011. Since 2004, the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has demonstrated a regional competence and expertise in working with displaced populations.
The Regional Office is based in Nairobi, Kenya with offices and operations in Somalia (Puntland, Somaliland and Mogadishu), Kenya (Dadaab, Kakuma and Mandera ), Ethiopia (Addis Ababa, Dolo Ado, Shire,Gambella and Asosa), South Sudan (Juba, Awil, Alek and Aweril) and Yemen (Sa’naa and Aden).
The NRC Horn of Africa & Yemen mission is an expanding programme. NRC started its operations in Kenya in the refugee camps in Dadaab in February 2007. NRC has WASH, Education, Food Security and Livelihood and Information Counseling and Legal Assistant programmes implemented in Mandera.
The Liaison Officer is responsible for the security management in Mandera Office/ programme.
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners/employees and to check that its partners/employees have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
Roles for the Liaison Officer Job
- Ensure proper implementation of the safety and security policies, procedures, processes and guidelines including evacuation, security audit, drills etc.
- Identify safety and security needs for NRC Mandera compounds and premises and ensure the availability of adequate lighting, equipment and other resources.
- Train staff on safety and security, making sure that all staff members are familiar with organizational contingency plans regarding incident response.
- Provide all staff with regular safety and security briefings and updates, and ensure that all staff adheres to security policies and procedures.
- With the help of Safety & Security Coordinator conduct Security Risk Assessment for NRC Mandera operational areas.
- Organize and facilitate staff evacuation in emergency situations or staff in critical medical conditions.
- Liaise with UN agencies, NGOs and other external actors to gain security information.
- Ensure vehicle and staff movement are monitored through structured radio checks and contacts with the office and vehicles.
- Ensure that all communication, security and fleet assets are recorded and assets inventory list is updated, among other procedures.
- Ensure all the necessary safety and security equipments are available and in good condition.
- Supervise/training NRC guards and develop weekly/monthly duty roster
- Organize/facilitate meeting /appointment setting with security agencies when the need for arise
- Any other duties assigned by the Head of Office.
Liaison Officer Job Qualifications
- Minimum 3 years of experience from working as a security Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English and , both written and verbal( mandatory)
- Valid driver’s license
- Geographical knowledge and understanding of Mandera county political, cultural and clan dynamic
How to Apply
Candidates should apply on line by going through www.nrc.no. Email and paper applications will not be considered.