Occupational Health & Safety Officer Job at NTSA
Reporting to the Manager, Human Resources, and the job holder will be responsible for monitoring and assessing hazardous and unsafe situations in all Authority work places and developing and implementing measures to ensure a safe work environment in line with the Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) Act.
Key Duties for the Occupational Health & Safety Officer Job
- Support the development of OHS policies and programs;
- Advise and instruct on various safety-related topics (noise levels, use of machinery etc.);
- Conduct risk assessment and enforce preventative measure;
- Review existing policies and measures and update according to legislation;
- Initiate and organize OHS training for employees and executives;
- Inspect premises and the work of personnel to identify issues or non-conformity (e.g. not using protective equipment);
- Oversee installations, maintenance, disposal of substances etc.;
- Stop any unsafe acts or processes that seem dangerous or unhealthy;
- Record and investigate incidents to determine causes and handle worker’s compensation claims; and
- Prepare reports on occurrences and provide statistical information to management.
Occupational Health & Safety Officer Job Qualifications
To be appointed to this role, the successful candidate must possess the following key requirements;
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in Safety Management, Engineering from an institution recognized in Kenya or relevant field is preferred;
- Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety (OHS);
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in handling OHS as a Safety OfficerII or in a comparable and relevant position;
- In depth knowledge of legislation (e.g. OSHA/EPA) and procedures;
- Knowledge of potentially hazardous materials or practices;
- Experience in writing reports and policies for health and safety;
- Working knowledge of safety management information systems; and;
- Knowledge of data analysis and trending and reporting statistics;
How to Apply
If you possess the required skills and competencies, please submit your typed application, detailed Curriculum Vitae and Testimonials indicating three referees, National Identification card, current and expected remuneration, mobile phone contacts, a valid Tax Compliance Certificate, HELB clearance certificate, valid Police Clearance Certificate from Criminal Investigations Department and clearance from Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission.
Applications may be deposited at the Authority’s head Office, Hill Park Plaza, ground floor, Upper Hill Road, Nairobi in the APPLICATION BOX or posted to;
National Transport and Safety Authority
Hill Park Plaza, Upper Hill Road
P.O. Box, 3602 -00506
All applications should be received not later than 5:00pm on April 28, 2017
NTSA is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and gender equality. Youth, Women and Persons with Disability are encouraged to apply. Canvassing of any nature will lead to automatic disqualification.