TB / HIV Nurse – Hagadera
Employee Type: Regular
Employee Category: Full Time
Job Purpose / Objectives: Under the support of the TB/HIV Senior Officer, the TB/HIV Nurse has overall responsibility for the planning, implementation and monitoring of the IRC TB/CCC activities in Hagadera and Kambioos Refugee camps.
Key Responsibilities / activities
- Review nursing program activities and priorities on regular basis and update the HIV/TB/RH manager on gaps and or provide recommendations on how to improve quality of services
- Overall responsible for the day-to-day running of the TB/HIV department including provision of quality HTC services in both hospital and health posts.
- Keep a complete and accurate inventory of medicines and supplies at the TB/HIV clinic.
- Coordinate all TB/HIV referrals as per MOH and UNHCR guidelines.
- Closely monitor HIV/TB commodities and replenish stocks in time to avoid stock outs
- Administer Tuberculosis treatment (DOTs) and STIs as prescribed by the Physician and counter checking to verify that the regimen and dosage is in agreement with the existing guidelines. This includes ensuring the follow-up sputum examination, chest x-ray and physician review are done as per TB treatment and follow-up procedures
- Maintain TB/HIV records according to MOH recommendations
- Ensure that confidentiality is maintained by proper handling of patient’s files.
- Conduct adherence counseling to all HIV positive patients.
- Coordinate health education sessions for HIV/TB patients.
- Coordinate activities of support groups at the facility level.
- Coordinate patient’s follow-up activities to minimize defaulting.
- Ensure that all TB/HIV activities, in the grant and all objectives highlighted are met.
- Explore opportunities of enhanced integration with the Women Protection and Empowerment (WPE) program, Clinical Services program and Safe programming department in spirit of integration for maximum output.
- With support from the RH/HIV program manager, identify and utilize networking and linkages opportunities which are beneficial to the community, IRC and its programs.
- Attend all program implementation meetings.
Quality Control & Improvement
- Ensure adherence to the National HIV care and TB treatment guidelines.
- Technical and administrative supervision of all TB/HIV department incentive staff, including performance reviews.
- As the nurse in-charge of the TB/HIV department, provide technical and administration work guidelines in collaboration with the RH/HIV/TB program Manager
Reporting and Coordination:
- Ensure that weekly reports of TB/HIV department are submitted to the HIS in time.
- Participate in compilation of monthly/quarterly PEPFAR/UNHCR/MOH reports are submitted to the relevant authorities by 5th of the following month.
- Keep the HIV/TB/RH Manager informed of all developments and issues through weekly situation reports.
- Represent IRC at TB/HIV Coordination forums at Dadaab/Fafi/Sub county/County levels as delegated by the HIV/RH/TB program manager.
Others: Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Key Result Areas
- Quality nursing TB/ HIV services provided at the IRC health facilities in Hagadera with no staffing or supplies interruption.
- Timely submission of reports internally and externally to MoH and donors
- Effective coordination between TB/HIV unit and other IRC programs in Hagadera/Kambioos
- IRC actively participates in TB/HIV Coordination forums at Dadaab/Fafi/Sub county/County levels.
- Diploma/Degree In Nursing/ or its equivalent in a relevant field is required.
- Registration with the Nursing Council of Kenya
- Trained in Reproductive Health, Behavior Change Communication (BCC) and / or other HIV related Trainings e.g. Peer Education, Peer Counseling or HIV&AIDS Management
- S/He must possess ability to analyze and interpret both quantitative and qualitative programmed data.
- Must possess excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision.
- Must have cognate skills in computer appreciation.
- MUST possess a high level of integrity and with good interpersonal skills.
Required Experience & Competencies:
- Demonstrated experience in project activities planning, implementation, Monitoring and Report writing.
- have Training in Adult and pediatric ART, HTC and DTC.
- Demonstrated experience in working with PEPFAR, MoH and other community based HIV Prevention Projects.
- Excellent communication, rapport building and listening skills with
- Broad understanding of TB/HIV programming in clinical set ups
- Flexibility at work and cultural sensitivity
- Strong team player
- Experience in addressing health related stigma.
- Ready to work in difficult environmental conditions
- Experience working in a Non-Profit Organization is an added advantage
- Capacity to work under minimal supervision.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply.
International allowances are not available for this position.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
Disclaimer: Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes. In the event that you receive any request for payment of any sort, please get in touch with us on Tel: +(254-020) 2727730, Email: [email protected] or report to the nearest police. IRC leading the way from harm to home.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If you need assistance in the application or hiring process to accommodate a disability, you may request an accommodation at any time. Please contact Talent Acquisitions at [email protected] As required by law, the IRC will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with a known disability.