Position Title : Nurse II (6 posts)
Vacancy No IOMKE/SVN/088/2016
Duty Station : Nairobi, Kenya
Classification : General Service Staff, Grade G4
Type of Appointment : 9 Months Special Short Term Contract, with possibility
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 29 November, 2016
Under the overall supervision of the Head of IOM Migration Health Assessment Centre, and under the direct supervision of the Chief Nurse at the IOM Migration Health Assessment Center (MHAC), the incumbent will be responsible for performing required routine clinical tasks/procedures in connection with the health assessment and treatment to ensure that identified refugees and migrants are medically fit to migrate in accordance with the
medical/health requirements of the receiving countries. The incumbent is assigned to different MHD units in Nairobi such as – MHAC, UK Tuberculosis Program and the Transit Center (TC) and other locations within Nairobi as may be identified.
Responsibilities for the Nurse Job
- Performs routine clinical tasks required by the Migration Health Physician during
- Migration Health Assessments, in particular: taking and recording medical history, performing anthropometrics, visual acuity and vital signs measurements.
- Compiles medical records, files, charts, X-ray films, decoded laboratory results prior to physical examination for doctor’s use.
- Authenticates the identity of refugee/migrant, as may be requested, prior to clinical or radiology examinations.
Assists and provides directions to clients of medical facilities – i.e.: doctor’s office, lab, radiology offices.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
- As a duty Nurse, triage, coordinates work and ensure client flow during physical examination
- Assists the MHP during actual physical examinations.
- Administers prescriptions/recommendations ordered by the Migration Health
- Physicians, including application of appropriate treatment.
- Prepares, install or sterilizes medical equipment needed for medical examination.
- Monitors and reports expiration dates of drugs and medicines and refers to the Pharmacist for disposal.
- Performs pre-departure medical checks, surveillance and administers treatment, including vaccination jabs as required for travelling refugees/migrants
- Prepares a report on therapeutic procedures administered to migrants, in accordance with the requirements of resettlement countries
- Monitors progress of medical cases and implements follow-up procedure; arrange further examination and health counseling as may be required.
- Participates in field missions, in out of duty stations and acts as nurse escort of medical cases.
- Maintains confidentiality of information and collaborative relationship with clients partners and health professionals.
- Prepares monthly reports
- Provide health orientation/information education to individual patients or groups of refugees
- Assists in the preparation of health certificates in coordination with the Data
- Processing Assistants
- Administer first aid treatment as may be necessary
- Identify and inform Head of MHAC Nairobi of infectious diseases and administer preventive action as soon as possible.
- Date entry of client/applicant information for both UKTB Global Software if he/she is assigned in UKTB and Mimosa at MHAC
- Prepare, sign and issue certificates to UK applicants when she/he is assigned in UKTB
- Raising Payment Coupons for additional tests/treatment as requested by the MHP.
- Administer vaccinations to applicants according to the requirements/indications of the respective resettlement countries and maintain cold chain.
- Under the supervision of head of UKTB refers cases/applicants for additional TB investigations and/or treatment and counseling when it is required.
- Performs any other duties that may be assigned from time to time
Qualifications for the Nurse Job
- Completed University degree in Nursing from an accredited institution with a valid
- Nursing Council of Kenya (NCK) Practice License as a Registered Nurse and 2 years of relevant professional experience or;
- High School certificate with Diploma in Nursing from an accredited institution with a valid Nursing Council of Kenya (NCK) Practice License as a Registered Nurse and 4 years of relevant professional experience.
- Mandatory work experience in Clinical Nursing.
- Mature individual, able to work independently, effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds at all levels.
- Capable of working under stressful and difficult conditions.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain accuracy and confidentiality in performing responsibilities.
- Training and experience in TB, STDs, other communicable diseases and migration health is considered an asset.
- Previous work experience with an international organization and NGOs dealing with refugees would be strong advantage.
- Computer literate on Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Access
- Excellent command of spoken and written English and Kiswahili.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Accountability- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Client Orientation- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Continuous Learning- Contributes to colleagues’ learning
- Communication – Actively shares relevant information
Creativity and Initiative – Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Performance Management – Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
- Planning and Organizing – Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
- Professionalism – Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Teamwork – Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Technological Awareness – Learns about developments in available technology
- Resource Mobilization – Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs.Other
- Effectively applies knowledge of health issues in execution of responsibilities at appropriate level
- Maintain confidentiality and discretion in appropriate areas of work
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment (upon notification in writing to the candidate) and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
- Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to Apply
Submit cover letter and CV, including daytime telephone and e-mail contact to: International Organization for Migration (IOM), Human Resources Department, send via e-mail to [email protected]Closing Date: 29th November, 2016. Only Shortlisted Applicants will be contacted.