International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Vacancy: Nutrition Manager
Employee Type: Regular
Employee Category: Full Time
Job Purpose / Objective: Under the supervision of the Field Coordinator and technically Nutrition Coordinator, the Nutrition Manager shall be responsible for the overall designing and implementation of a nutrition program that encompasses running of selective feeding program, blanket supplementary feeding programme, nutrition surveillance & assessments, hospital feeding, and promotion of mother infant and young child nutrition (MIYCN), nutrition education & counseling and addressing micronutrient deficiencies in the camp.
He/she shall be expected to monitor and ensure improvement and maintenance of public health nutrition performance indicators as per SPHERE/UNHCR/WHO standards at the Camp.Key Responsibilities
- Develop an annual nutrition sector work plan in Kakuma
- Supervise and coordinate the implementation and monitoring of nutrition project activities in line with proposal targets and work plan timelines
- Conduct nutritional surveillance in the camp based on agreed camp wide methodologies including surveys, process monitoring, SMART, LQAS, SQUEAC and other rapid methods.
- Coordinate with other IRC departments and implementing partners to develop training curricula and implementation plans.
- Assist in response and management of any nutrition emergencies e.g. acute food shortages in the camp and participate in the development of disaster preparedness systems.
- Promote mother infant and young child feeding best practices in the camp.
- Supervise and monitor the hospital patient’s diet including the special diets for chronic diseases.
- Oversee implementation and integration of comprehensive growth monitoring program
- Participate actively in execution of operational research in the camp
- Participate actively in annual nutrition surveys in the camp
- Plan and actively involve the community in marking recognized nutrition related days
- Coordinate with UNHCR, WFP other implementing partners and health facilities to ensure maximum effectiveness of the nutrition project.
- Human resource
- Monitoring and supervising both national and refugee staff to ensure work is performed efficiently
- Routinely monitor staff performance according to their job description and provide written feedback in a timely manner
- Oversee continuous training programs for the nutrition staff as well as organizing trainings with consultants as per the annual work-plan & budget
- Review personnel issues and concerns of nutrition staff and assist with determining and implementing solutions
- Participate in recruitment of health staff as appropriate
- Recommend promotions, disciplinary action of nutrition staff to the health team leader and project coordinator
- Foster integration of the nutrition program with other health sector programs within IRC Kakuma.
- Directly supervise the nutrition team in the camp.
- Supply chain
- Work with the supply chain team to develop accurate and timely quarterly nutrition orders
- Monitor utilization of IRC issued nutrition supplies; monitor and track IRC nutrition sector assets
- Review of all nutrition program purchase requisitions
- Monitoring and reporting
- Closely monitor and make sure nutrition performance indicators are within the recommended sphere standards
- Attend meetings concerning nutrition program issues
- Keep the FC/ nutrition coordinator informed of all developments through regular reports
- Attend all health and nutrition coordination meetings and management meetings in the field.
- Compile weekly, monthly reports and donor reports.
- Finance and grant management
- Prepare spending plans for the program based on the available budget
- Attend and participate in monthly budget review meetings, with records of updated expenditure records and spending plans
- Ensure adherence to the nutrition program budget by reviewing expenditure
- Provide recommendations and interventions to correct any identified deviations that impact on budget adherence
- Perform any other duty as directed by the supervisor
Key Result Areas
- Successful implementation of annual nutrition sector work plan as per the proposal targets.
- Monitor and ensure improvement and maintenance of public health nutrition performance indicators as per SPHERE/UNHCR/WHO standards at the camp.
- Promotion of mother infant and young child feeding best practices in the camp.
- Monitor all nutrition program expenditure against budgets and ensure an appropriate burn rate.
- Ensure steady supply of all the nutrition program supplies.
- Ensure nutrition surveillance and assessments are continuously conducted.
- Timely submission of monthly and donor reports.
- Capacity building of nutrition staff.
- Maintain nutrition team as per the budget specifications.
- Represent IRC in nutrition meetings.
- MUST have a Bachelor’s degree in nutrition dietetics
- Masters in Public Health Nutrition preferred.
- MUST be a registered by KNDI
Required Experience & Competencies:
- A minimum of 3 years of professional experience in nutrition, public health, nutrition planning and management and/or in relevant areas of maternal, infant and child health/nutrition care at program management level is required
- Experience in designing and implementing nutrition surveys and other methodologies,
- Knowledge in computer statistical packages such as SMART and basic data analysis skills.
- Experience in managing a nutrition program in emergencies or among refugee/ displaced populations an advantage.
- Working in resource poor environment and complex emergencies
- Strong analytical skills, sound judgment and the capacity to think and plan strategically, including the ability to produce high quality programs through development implementation.
- Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply.
International allowances are not available for this position.
Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply onlineIRC leading the way from harm to home. IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Disclaimer: Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes. In the event that you receive any request for payment of any sort, please get in touch with us on Tel: +(254-020) 2727730, Email: [email protected] or report to the nearest police.