The Organization: The Ol Pejeta Conservancy (OPC) – a leading wildlife conservancy that works to conserve wildlife, provides a sanctuary for great apes and to generate income through wildlife tourism and complementary enterprises for re-investment in conservation and community development is seeking high caliber, self-motivated and dedicated individual to fill the position of Marketing Coordinator.
The Location: Located three and a half hours from Nairobi, Ol Pejeta Conservancy lies directly on the equator, just outside Nanyuki town, with Mt. Kenya rising up on the near horizon. Links from Nairobi to Nanyuki are excellent with the Thika Highway a proportion of the way and good roads the rest of the journey.
Nanyuki town is between 30-40 minutes’ drive from the HQ offices in the Conservancy and has all major amenities and supermarkets. Ol Pejeta sits on the Laikipia plateau, recognized globally as having some of the richest densities of wildlife anywhere in the world.
Role Summary: The mission of the role is to lead the marketing department on a day-to-day basis by developing the strategy for, oversee the execution of, manage the budget, and measure the success of all mobile, online and direct marketing efforts for Ol Pejeta.
Increase Ol Pejeta’s reach worldwide using social media, online and database tools
Improve the visitor experience by focusing on conservation messaging
Reports to the Marketing Manager
The Role Deliverables:
1. Develop and maintain Salesforce and Campaign Monitor database for the organisation
Where possible collect emails received by the conservancy and funnel them into the Salesforce while ensuring to keep the Salesforce and Campaign Monitor synched.
Increase the database numbers by 15% on an yearly basis
Take the lead on how to communicate with visitors before and after their visits to Ol Pejeta using Salesforce. Specifically, explore creative ways to obtain customer feedback.
2. Build a relationship with our followers through our e-communications
Identify content for and send out the Ol Pejeta e-newsletter once a month.
Review the promotional calendar at the beginning of each month and assist in crafting and sending out promotional e-newsletters for our tourism department and partners.
3. Manage and improve our Social Media Platforms
Develop social marketing strategy and ensure Ol Pejeta stays updated on digital marketing best practices.
Responsible for managing and growing all social media platforms by 20% on a yearly basis.
Responsible for sourcing and posting content on the respective social platforms while observing an equal mix of conservation, people and tourism posts.
Plan and manage online advertising – this involves providing a monthly advertising plan for Marketing Manager’s approval.
Provide a monthly report (monthly measures) on all social media tools and online coverage.
Use data reflected on the monthly measures for decision making.
4. Travel review sites
Where Ol Pejeta appears on travel review sites, ensure the information is up to date and accurate.
Post in at least 5 travel and review sites a month.
Pay particular attention to Trip Advisor – where possible replying to client queries and concerns.
Explore ways of increasing the Trip Advisor reviews to at least 15 a month
5. Conservation Education
Create and maintain educational displays at tourism spots like the Morani Information Center, Hippo Hide and the Chimpanzee Sanctuary
Ensure correct delivery of the Ol Pejeta mission throughout tourists visits.
Manage stock and distribution of environmental education materials
6. Planning and delivery of all local marketing
Ensure at least one promotional send-out per month in a local mailing list (Nanyuki News, Rift Valley News)
Place Ol Pejeta posters in at least 3 prime locations either in Nanyuki or Nairobi every month.
7. Conservation and Tourism Awards
Responsible for identifying at least 5 relevant tourism and conservation awards for Ol Pejeta per year.
Responsible for putting together entries for awards and submitting them
8. Internal Communications
Responsible for writing an English and Swahili staff newsletter once per year.
Assist other departments with marketing/branding services needed.
Assist Marketing Manager in implementing new branding guidelines when required.
- 3 years’ experience in a similar field
- Business / Marketing related university degree
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills
- Good organisational and planning skills
- Drive, motivation and initiative
- A creative approach
- The ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines
- The confidence to ‘sell’ your ideas
- Attention to detail
- Design skills a plus (use of Photoshop and InDesign software)
The Cultural Fit we are looking for:
We look for ‘Role Models’, people who lead and demonstrate every day the values and personality that we believe in.
The values we believe in are:
- Guardianship: Our people take their role as protectors of endan¬gered species, wildlife in general and the environment seriously. Whilst we aim to have a fun and humorous working environment, we keep in mind the global importance of what we do.
- Innovation: Our people are always looking for new and better ways to do things, from the big (e.g. integrating cattle and wildlife) to the small (e.g. new requisition systems). We are prepared to fail as long as we learn from it.
- Authenticity: Our people keep scientifically credible conservation and measurable community benefits at the front of mind in every decision they make – especially the commercial decisions.
- The personalities we look for are:
- Responsibility: Our people are accountable for their work, taking responsibility for both successes and failures, focusing on long-term results and not just short term tasks.
- Inspirational: Our people get the people around them (whether it be their teams, tourists or supports) excited about the value of the wildlife and of communities so that they want to further support our aims. Our people have a sense of humour and make work fun.
- Passion: Our people get enthused and excited by conservation and community development
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications with updated CV, cover letter and testimonials by Wednesday, 2nd September 2015 to:
firstname.lastname@example.org Address to: The Human Capital Manager Ol Pejeta Conservancy P.O. Box Private Bag, Nanyuki -10400