Omega Foundation (OF) is a non-profit organization working in Nyanza, Western and Rift Valley regions primarily to promote health and build livelihoods support systems, with a major focus on health.
The organization is currently implementing a Sexual Reproductive Health (SRH) project dubbed Closing the Gap [CtG] whose overall objective is to increase awareness of, access to, and use of quality Family Planning (FP) services in high need communities within Kisumu, HomaBay and Siaya Counties.
OF is seeking a motivated candidate to fill in the following vacancy:
Job Title: Nurse
Location: HomaBay County
Closing Date: 14th September, 2015
Job Summary: The Nurse shall provide leadership to the Reproductive Health Component of the CtG project within the health facility.
- Refer Triage clients for appropriate Family planning and RH services
- Conduct Comprehensive Reproductive Health counseling
- Perform vital signs observation, Physical and Bimanual examinations to Reproductive Health Clients within prescribed RH guidelines.
- Implement FP and RH procedures following standard operation procedures
- Ensure Quality standards are maintained in counseling, Environment preparation, procedures, Infection prevention, Instruments processing, and documentation in FP/ RH service delivery.
- Ensures integration of FP/PAC /HTC services in all service areas within the facility
- Ensure accurate and complete documentation of client’s records, Registers and Monthly Summary forms.
- Ensure availability of RH commodities at the facility and work closely with the MOH in the region.
- Maintain patients confidentiality
- Respond to enquiries relating to RH clients, lab requests, prescription requests, etc. Coordinate appointments for referrals
- Ensure timely reporting to Omega and the Ministry of Health by 5th of every month.
- Act as a Liaison/networking to specific Sub-county Reproductive Health departments and other medical agencies to facilitate implementation of quality Reproductive health services and other Omega Foundation’s Health programmes.
- Advise Omega Foundation fraternity as well as members of target groups on Reproductive health and refer RH clients and beneficiaries for appropriate specialist consultation within the available facilities within the County.
- Implement Reproductive Health policy and procedures in line with other established government regulations.
- Build a strong staff team, Community Health Volunteers, Youth Peer Providers to support the Reproductive health programme in the County.
- Administer prescribed Reproductive Health products/medications and treatments in accordance with Reproductive Health standards.
- Organize and coordinate Reproductive Health outreaches within the sub-counties.
- Write Human interest story related to RH issues in the respective counties
- Conduct medical examinations, and provide treatment at both scheduled and unscheduled visits, refer clients to appropriate providers for specialized management of their conditions.
- Be fully responsible and accountable for project resources entrusted to you
- Perform genito-urinary exams of male patients in relation to testing and treatment of Sexually Transmitted Infections.
- Oversee the project implementation including supervision of Youth Peer Providers and Community Health Volunteers.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: (The knowledge, skills and abilities may be required through a combination of formal schooling, self-education and prior experience or on-the-job-training).
Level of education:
- Diploma in Community Health Nursing from a recognized institution.
- Specialized Training / Professional Qualifications
- Kenya Enrolled Community Health Nurse
Competencies / Abilities / Skills Required:
- The ideal candidate should be aged between 24 and 35 years.
- Familiarity with rural/urban working environment
- Strong coordination skills and strong team orientation.
- Good knowledge and sound understanding of Reproductive Health practices of GOK and other health institutions.
- Additional training and practice in health care management including, Cervical Cancer Screening, STI, HIV/AIDS and counseling will be an added advantage.
- Ability to work well in a team comprised of people with diverse cultural and disciplinary backgrounds.
- S/he should have strong leadership and good communication skills.
- Be willing to spend over 90% of working hours in the health facility.
- At least 3 years working experience with an NGO, community and Reproductive Health Programme based at a well-established medical health facility/ project.
- Terms & Conditions
- Candidates MUST quote current and expected salary.
- Candidates MUST have a current practicing license
- One year contract – renewable depending on performance and availability of funds.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to fill in the online form; and submit their application, including a cover letter, current Curriculum Vitae with telephone contacts of 3 referees and testimonials to: Human Resources Manager,
P. O. Box 3246 – 40100,
Kisumu, Kenya. Email applications should be addressed to [email protected] and must be copied to [email protected] Application deadline is 14th September, 2015 midnight. Please note that due to high volume of applications, ONLY candidates short-listed for interview will be contacted. Omega Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. This recruitment will remain open until the post is filled. For more information about Omega Foundation, its values and working principles, please visit the Omega Foundation website (www.omega-foundation.org )