Conflict Specialist Job at Pact
Pact’s mission is to build empowered communities, effective governments and responsible organizations that give people an opportunity for a better life. We do this by strengthening the capacity of organizations and institutions to be good service providers, represent their stakeholders, network with others for learning and knowledge sharing, and advocate for social, economic and environmental justice.
Interdependence, responsible stewardship, inclusion of vulnerable groups, and respect for local ownership and knowledge are core values across all our programs.
The Conflict Specialist will provide technical input, guidance and leadership on conflict management and peace-building components of the proposed European Union-funded three year Collaboration in Cross-Border Areas of the Horn of Africa Region: Southwest Ethiopia – Northwest Kenya border or the Kenya-Ethiopia-Somalia border.
He/she will be responsible for bringing best available practices and innovative approaches to bear in implementing the proposed project in accordance with the EUTF agreement, under the direction of the Team Leader.
(This position is contingent upon award).
Conflict Specialist Job Responsibilities
- Lead in the design and delivery of training curricula on conflict and peace-building themes including: conflict prevention and management; conflict transformation, and understanding cross-border governance systems and dynamics;
- Design, in close collaboration with project partner agencies, focused capacity-building plans for peace structures and state agencies around peace building and conflict management;
- Propose and implement, in conjunction with partner agencies, programming strategies to include women, youth and other minority and marginalized groups and individuals into peace-building processes;
- Lead the partner agencies in working with communities to identify the root causes of conflicts in the conflict systems;
- Design in consultation with the partner agencies and the communities’ suitable innovative interventions that are culturally appropriate to address the root causes of conflicts identified in the conflict systems;
- Provide technical advice and input on monitoring strategies around peacebuilding.
Requirements for the Conflict Specialist Job
- Advanced degree in peace-building and conflict management, social sciences, peace building, international development, political science, or related field;
- Demonstrate more than five (5) years of relevant professional experience managing and implementing peace-building and conflict management projects with experience in the Horn of Africa strongly preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to provide actionable, practical technical advice to a range of stakeholders or partner agencies;
- Demonstrated exemplary diplomatic and interpersonal skills;
- Previous experience of EU programs preferred;
- Strong track record in working in partnership with diverse organizational stakeholders, developing and implementing appropriate and targeted learning and capacity development activities in support of programmatic partnerships.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are advised to send an application letter and CV to [email protected] with the subject line Conflict Specialist. Deadline for applications: 26th May, 2017
Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.