The Association of African Universities (AAU) has intensified its advocacy for students from African universities to acquire employable skills for the world of work upon graduation from their universities. Through financial assistance from the Swedish International Development Agency (Sida), the AAU has secured some funds to offer small grants of up to US$600 per person for graduate internships for its member universities
Conditions for the Award of the Grant
- Applicants should be students in an AAU member institution in Southern or Eastern Africa, or a Francophone member institution, and the institution must be in good standing. CHECK FOR THE NAME OF YOUR UNIVERSITY
- Grant applicants should be students pursuing post-graduate degree programmes. Applicants should note that the grants are for training purposes only and not meant for the completion of theses or dissertations.
- Applicants shall commit to undertake an internship programme for a period between twelve (12) and twenty-four (24 weeks).
- Applications should be supported with an authorisation note from the Head of Department of the applicant’s university as well as an official acceptance letter from the establishment wishing to host the intern.
- All applicants should submit a detailed curriculum vitae.
- A detailed but confidential supervisory report will be required from the host institution on the progression of the applicant during the period of internship, and from the university of the applicant on academic progress after the period of internship.
- Consideration will be given to applicants who have no practical work experience.
- In the Grant Award Agreement, sixty percent (60%) of the total grant will be disbursed upon the submission of the required letters of intent from both the university and the employer to cater for transport and other incidentals. The other forty percent (40%) will be disbursed after the successful completion of the internship, receipt of deliverables from the university and the employer.
- A tracer of the intern’s employment status will be conducted six months after graduation from the university.
- Any breach of these Conditions shall lead to the termination or invalidity of the grant for which the Grantor shall recall or request the amount awarded to be refunded.
Selection of successful applications will be based on a quota system revolving around gender (at least 40% of beneficiaries should be females); country (not more than 10 applicants per country) and language (at least 30% from Francophone institutions)
How to Apply
Submit your CV and Application online : Click Here