Project Implementation Officer – Afya Pwani (WASH) Job at Plan International, Kenya
Purpose: How does this post support Plan’s strategy and mission?
Founded over 75 years ago, Plan International is one of the oldest and largest children’s development organizations in the world. We work in 50 developing countries across Africa, Asia and the Americas to promote child rights and lift millions of children out of poverty particularly those who are excluded or marginalized. We deliver high quality programs that deliver long lasting benefits and work in partnership with others.
- The WASH Officer will ensure delivery and impact of WASH outputs and outcomes in the Afya Pwani Program.
- He /she will ensure active engagement and involvement of relevant stakeholders and communities in project activities and oversee all aspects of WASH component implementation and monitoring in project target locations.
- The WASH Officer will also identify and assess the key hygiene and sanitation practices to be addressed and whom to engage and develop appropriate strategies to promote safe practices.
Program implementation Officer – Afya Pwani (Wash)
Project Implementation Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in assessments and studies in order to identify hygiene and sanitation practices and WASH-related health risks and priorities in target communities and institutions including health facilities.
- In cooperation with other program staff, design and plan hygiene promotion activities to reduce health risks within project sites.
- Conduct quality CLTS triggering, follow up and certification activities in target communities.
- Implement hygiene promotion activities appropriate to the context to ensure that technical and social aspects of water and sanitation programming are integrated.
- Coordinate implementation of school WASH interventions in the Afya Pwani program. These will not be limited to capacity building and mentorship of schools on SLTS, Comprehensive school health approach.
- Facilitate establishment and capacity building of school and environmental health clubs in target schools liaison with the club patrons to help promote safe WASH practices.
- Undertake trainings on hygiene promotion for the school health club members, health club patrons
- Liaise directly with communities, local institutions and local authorities on hygiene and sanitation issues as well as other agencies carrying out similar activities regularly to avoid duplication.
Reporting and Knowledge Management
- Prepare quality progress reports from Afya Pwani WASH program implementation activities.
- Capture key lessons learned and best practices during program implementation to inform on program quality.
- Ensure regular documentation of success stories and human interest stories generated from program interventions.
- Dissemination of key information and knowledge gathered from program interventions in various forums.
- To actively support and represent Plan International in WASH and Health and Nutrition co-ordination forums
- Participate in Afya Pwani program Cluster Coordination Meetings
- Coordinate with the other WASH Officers and other Implementing Partners in Afya Pwani to ensure that the various aspects of the WASH response are integrated.
Requirements for Project Implementation Job
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Health, Nutrition or Population Health.
- Minimum of three (3) years relevant work experience, previous experience in WASH programming in the NGO setting.
- Training on CLTS facilitation skills for rural communities.
- Knowledgeable and competent in participatory approaches applied in community hygiene and sanitation promotion like PHAST, CLTS and School WASH approaches.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including report writing skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with a team.
- Ability to work with culturally diverse groups of people.
- Experience of working with partners.
- Understanding of rights based approaches and participatory concepts and practical experience in similar context.
- Program implementation Officer – Afya Pwani (Wash)
- Sensitive to issues affecting children and committed to Plan Kenya’s Child Protection Policy
- Strong documentation and report writing skills
- Experience of and commitment to working through systems of community participation and accountability
- Striving for high performance: plans and commits to deliver quality outputs in each aspect of their work.
- Decision making and risk management: Sound judgement and decision-making in complex situations; alerts others to risks inside and outside the program.
- Self-awareness and resilience: Remains calm and positive under pressure and in difficult situations; plans own learning and development; aware of impact on others and adjusts own behaviour accordingly; has a positive impact on those around them.
- Understanding and experience of working with PLWHIV and vulnerable communities
- Supports implementation of gender and culturally sensitive health services among the target population
- Ability to transfer knowledge: supports staff to deliver program services and support according to the approved work plan, standards and timelines.
- Strong report writing skills: ability to identify the key elements and criteria of writing quality reports. Capacity to produce accurate, consistent, high standard reports for the project in compliance with donor standards.
- Communicates with influence: Demonstrated effective interpersonal communication skills, including conflict resolution and negotiation skills community consultation skills and an ability to prepare accurate and detailed documentation.
- Building effective teams and partnerships: Acting as a team leader as well as player, even if this results in adjustment of own priorities; develops mutually trusting relationships with complex partnerships to deliver excellent project outcomes.
Proficiency in computer skills: including Microsoft Office and working knowledge with different computer programs, both computer and web-based.
How to Apply
Click here to apply