Program Implementation Officer- Ending Child Marriage Project
Founded in 1937, Plan International is one of the oldest and largest children’s devpelopment organizations in the world. We work in 50 developing countries across Africa, Asia and the Americas to promote child rights and lift millions of children out of poverty particularly those who are excluded or marginalized.
- The Program Implementation Officer is responsible for the conceptualization, development and execution of the project activities as per the approved activity.
- The responsibilities also include the design, implementation, monitoring and reporting on the progress of the project activities in line with the detailed implementation plan related to the project.
- Project Implementation Officer will be responsible for collecting project information and build a database of project outcomes during the execution of the project. Guide by the Plan Kenya gender framework, the incumbent will ensure gender considerations are applied in all project cycle management aspects.
Dimensions of Role:
- The incumbent will report to the Project Manager. As part of the execution of their roles, Project Implementation Officers will be required to hold periodic meetings with relevant project stakeholders to ensure that their feedback and input are incorporated into the project implementation. PIO is the main community mobilizer and the day-to-day face in the field of Plan.
- The role will require liaison with other project teams to ensure synergy and integration of project interventions within the Programme Unit. The incumbent will be accountable for the management of the project budgets.
Project Implementation Job Key Responsibilities –
Key End Results of Position: Project Design and Implementation:
- Ensure that the project designs are technically sound, have a clear logic and a monitoring plan to track the implementation, incorporating relevant gender considerations.
- Ensure that the monthly activities and budget plans are implemented as per approved budget and activity lines. Produce periodic tracking reports on the progress of the implementation.
- Ensure that all the recommendations resulting from project visits/reports are executed.
- Ensure all project related partners, government and other stakeholder relations are well maintained and also ensure that feedback and input from stakeholder fora are incorporated into the implementation of the project.
- Work with relevant staff to ensure all logistics and procurement are done according to Plan and donor policies. This will include the development of procurement plans.
- Periodically review the project outline to ensure that implementation is on course and give regular explanations on the variances.
- Ensure a successful closure of the project once it has been completed
Documentation and Reporting:
- Consolidate/write project reports in line with donor requirements and Plan standards and as requested by the Project Manager.
- Work with the Communication Manager in documenting project achievements and lessons learnt.
- Contribute to documentation and sharing of best practices with all stakeholders for the project outcomes
- Facilitate and coordinate joint reflection sessions at County level (among partners).
- Develop a mandatory project summary for the project. This will be submitted together with the project outline and the project completion reports
- All reporting must be segregated to depict progress and other issues around gender as guided by the Plan Kenya House Gender Framework
- Work closely with project partners/consortium members to ensure implementation of work plans and act as accounting officers to the project.
- Be responsible for partnership scoping and keep good records of relevant partners in the areas of operation for possible collaboration and maximize on the use of resources and effort.
- Engage the relevant county and national government institutions to garner support for Plan’s work. This includes taking advantage of specific GOK and non-state institutions in sectors of gender, education, child protection MOH among others
- Attend sector specific County Coordination meetings in the absence of the Project Manager.
- Coordinate activities with other Plan Kenya Urban programmes
Dealing with Problems:
- Managing project related conflicts
- Managing community/Plan Policy conflicts
- Maintain good working relationships with other Civil Society Organisations (CSOs).
- Negotiating with the respective government departments to ensure that work goes on.
- Managing community attitude towards Plan implementation strategy.
- Managing donor versus implementation partner timelines and reports
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Maintain a high level of external communication/contact within the project sites, County and Sub- County levels. This is to facilitate the implementation of the project activities effectively.
- A medium level of external communication with the INGO and high level of communication with LNGO, CBOs partners in the county.
- Ensure consideration of necessary sensitivities in the urban slam settings where the project works
Educational Qualifications, Knowledge & Experience for Project Implementation Job
- A Bachelor’s degree in Arts, Social Sciences, Education or Development Studies.
- At least 5 years’ experience in project management/coordination.
- Strong Knowledge of community development with focus on adolescent girls.
- Conversant with child rights issues.
- Knowledge & experience in executing adolescent girl’s projects with a focus on sexual reproductive
health, life skills, education and financial education.
- Knowledge in donor reporting mechanisms (will be an added advantage).
Key Skills Specific to the Post:
- Skills in managing project implementation and monitoring is critical
- Strong facilitation, coordination and report writing skills
- Community mobilization and organization, networking, partnership development and management skills
- Good communication and negotiation skills
- Good interpersonal, relationship and team working
- Conflict Management skills
- Demonstrated competence in computer applications.
How to Apply