Policy Analyst Jobs at Sanergy
Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that builds healthy, prosperous communities by making hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban informal settlements.
Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of low-cost, high-quality waterless sanitation facilities – called Fresh Life Toilets.
We franchise the toilets to community residents, who run them as commercial toilets; landlords, who offer them as a value-added service to their tenants; and schools, to ensure children always have access to a safe sanitation option.
We provide critical support services – such as access to finance, business analytics, training and aspirational marketing and branding. We collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community for treatment. We convert the waste into valuable end products, such as organic fertilizer and insect-based animal protein, which we sell to Kenyan farms.
The Policy Analyst will be responsible for supporting the Policy and Advocacy Officer and the Government Relations Team in analyzing and documenting current legislation and policies, in relation to company plans and aspirations.
Reports to: Policy and Advocacy Officer
Policy Analyst Job Roles and Responsibilities
- Analyze existing policies and legislation, in relation to Sanergy and Fresh Life, recommend opportunities to leverage existing policies, and prioritize policies for review, repeal or overhauling.
- Study the relevant social problems, uncover their origin and recommend policy solutions to them.
- Gather data, using either existing information or generate new data through research by conducting qualitative research, including key informant interviews and literature reviews.
- Study how well current policies are working and recommend changes.
- Examine the results of a new policy, determining whether or not the solutions are working.
- Recommend policy interventions to gaps in existing legislation or the absence of the same.
- Any other duties as may be assigned.
Requirements for the Policy Analyst Job
- Degree or its equivalent in policy, political science, business, community relations, social sciences, law or related course.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to demonstrate ability to perform the duties of the position may be considered.
- A high level of self-motivation, self-direction and intellectual curiosity.
- Knowledge in specific issue areas, as demonstrated by education and/or professional experience.
- Demonstrated initiative and the ability to work effectively and enthusiastically within time constraints.
- Demonstrated skill in oral and written communication.
- Ability to perform research in a non-partisan and professional manner.
- Ability to work under pressure.
As Sanergy expands, many new projects are on the horizon. While the Sanergy Fellows are not provided monetary compensation, the experience gleaned from their time at Sanergy will benefit them for many years to come. We are looking for fellows with the desire, determination and energy to spend at least 3-6 months in East Africa pushing the frontiers of innovation. Join us!
How to Apply
Apply here for the Policy Analyst Jobs Application Deadline: 11th November 2016