No Due Date
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is an international non-profit, nongovernmental organization committed to conducting high quality and policy relevant research on population, health, education and development issues facing sub-Saharan Africa. APHRC seeks to recruit a Post-Doctoral Fellow to work under its Aging and Development Program.
1. Lead on all aspects of an in-depth qualitative investigation on experiences and impacts of Kenya’s older persons cash transfer program in two informal urban settlements in Nairobi
2. Lead and contribute to scientific writing and the development of donor or other reports on the qualitative investigation and other, relevant, research outcomes
3. Lead and contribute to the design of related research activities, and the development of research proposals within the aging program.
Qualifications and experience
1. PhD in Social Gerontology, or related fields. The fellowship should be taken up within two years of completion of doctoral degree;
2. Strong writing skills and good record of publications on relevant subject areas
3. Experience or strong interest in the areas of aging, social protection and intergenerational relationships
4. Strong qualitative research skills (data collection, management, analysis (by hand and with software packages), interpretation, reporting)
5. Computer literacy in Microsoft packages (Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
1. Experience of conducting empirical research with older persons
2. Experience of conducting empirical research in sub-Saharan African settings
3. Experience and high levels of familiarity with a diverse set of health and social science data sets
4. Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and ability to work in a culturally diverse team;
5. Experience in developing proposals and attracting research grants.
The above position comes with an attractive, internationally-competitive remuneration package including medical, travel and life insurance cover. Allowances toward in-relocation and dependents’ education are also provided. Preference will be given to nationals of sub-Saharan African countries.
Interested candidates are invited to send via email their letter of application (1 page); a statement of research interests and goals (1-2 pages); and their CV with contact details of three referees to [email protected] Please indicate “Post-Doc Fellow, Aging and Development” on the subject line of the email. Application letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
P. O. Box 10787-GPO, Nairobi
NB: The position will be open until a suitable candidate is identified. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of children