NLC GRADE 4 ONE (1) POST
This position is responsible for maintenance of an adequate and compliant financial system and controls to ensure efficient financial records, financial statements and other financial reports for decision making are complete and timely.
Gross Salary Scale for the position of Principal Accounts Officer (Min Kshs. 184,000 – MaxKshs. 279,000)
Duties for the Principal Accounts Officer Job
- Review internal controls and ensure integrity of financial procedures and records
- Review and monitor the general ledger on a regular basis and ensure its accuracy and completeness.
- Lead the development and performance management of Senior Accountant, Accountant I and II to ensure the
- achievement of both individual and commission goals
- Ensure authorized and signed vouchers for suppliers in the IFMIS system are delivered to the next section, in line with established procedures, to ensure adherence to the financial management systems
- Examine payment and journal vouchers and forward for review, approval and authorization by Deputy Director Finance and Accounts, to ensure proper usage of resources and avoid wastage
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial progress reports for the department and forward for approval, to ensure informed decisions are made within the Commission in a timely manner
- Verify and ensure that all ledger transactions are correctly posted
- Address financial issues and inquiries from internal and external customers
- Coordinate and manage external audits to enhance transparency and accountability of the utilization of resources in the commission
- Facilitate internal audits during review of accounting and administrative controls.
- Monitor revenue and AIA collection and expenditures based on approved budgets to ensure adherence to the set guidelines.
- Ensure application of sound principles, systems and techniques in accounting for finances, assets, revenue and expenditure.
- Manage the accounting of special funds including donor, programmes and project funds
- Monitor implementation of Accounting standards (IPSAS in particular) and systems for compliance; including Integrated Financial Management Information System (IFMIS) operations.
- Develop financial reports on expenditure trends
- Determine controls to ensure integrity of financial procedures and records
- Update records of financial and accounting operations and assist in preparation of final accounts.
- Prepare financial management reports that include monthly expenditure, returns, monthly bank reconciliation, revenue/AIA returns, cash flow statements and analysis of deposits
- Ensure proper accountability and reporting for special funds including donors, programmes and project funds
- Ensure that financial/accounting documents are in safe custody and easy to retrieve for reference
- Ensure that the Commission is always in good books with KRA, NHIF, NSSF, etc by ensuring that disbursements for statutory, other deductions and withholding tax are processed and that the relevant returns are filed within the legal and laid datelines
Principal Accounts Officer Job Qualifications
For Appointment to this grade, a candidate must:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce (Accounting or Finance), Economics or Business Management, Administration from a recognized University.
- Nine (9) years of service, three (3) of which should be in a comparable position from a reputable organization
- Knowledge and practical application of IPSAS Cash in financial reporting for a minimum of two (2) years
- Certified Public Accountant of Kenya (CPA-K)
- Registered with the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya (ICPAK) and be of good professional standing
- Practical Knowledge and application of Public Finance Management Act 2012 and Public Finance Management Regulations 2015
- Knowledge of Code of Ethics & Regulations
How to Apply
Candidates should attach all documents to the application form. It is an offence to include incorrect information in the application.
Details of academic and professional certificates not obtained by closure of the advert should not be included.
Only shortlisted and successful candidates will be contacted.
Canvassing in any form will lead to automatic disqualification.
National Land Commission is committed to implementing the provisions of the Constitution -Chapter 232 (1) on fair competition and merit, representation of Kenyans diverse communities and affording equal employment opportunities to men and women, members of all ethnic groups and Persons Living With Disabilities. Therefore, People with Disabilities, the Marginalized and the Minorities are encouraged to apply.
Shortlisted candidates shall be required to produce originals of their National Identity Card, Academic and professional certificates and transcripts during interviews. It is a criminal offence to present fake certificates.
Shortlisted candidates shall be required to present clearance certificates from the following institutions:
Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission -EACC
Kenya Revenue Authority -KRA
Credit Reference Bureau -CRB
Higher Education Loan Board -HELB
Directorate of Criminal Investigations – CID
All Applications should be submitted both online through the recruitment portal in our website i.e www.landcommission.go.ke and hard copies to:
The Secretary/CEO National Land Commission 1st Ngong Road, Ardhi House 12th Floor, Room 1205 P.O Box 44417-00100 Nairobi.
The applications should reach the office of the Secretary/ CEO, National Land Commission on/or before 17th July, 2017 by 5.00pm