Basic Salary Scale: Ksh.89,748 – Ksh.120,270 p.m. (Job Group ‘Q’)
Qualifications for the Principal Superintending Structural Engineer Job
For appointment to this grade, a candidate must have:
- Served for a cumulative period of twelve (12) years, three (3) of which should have been
- In the grade of Senior Superintending Engineer (Structural), Job Group ‘N’ and above or
- In a comparable and relevant position in the Public Service;
- A Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent and relevant qualification from a university recognized in Kenya;
- Been Registered with the Engineers Registration Board of Kenya (ERB); a Current valid annual Practicing license from the Engineers Registration Board of Kenya;
- Corporate membership with the Institution of Engineers of Kenya (IEK); attended a strategic leadership course in a recognized Institution; and demonstrated a high degree of professional competence and administrative capability required for effective planning, direction, control and coordination of structural development programmes.
NOTE: possession of a Master’s degree in a relevant field will be considered an added advantage.
Responsibilities for the Principal Superintending Structural Engineer Job
An officer at this level may be deployed as a head of a unit at Headquarters. Duties and responsibilities at this level will include monitoring and execution of the work in specialized fields of engineering in one of the following:
Building (Design and Construction)
- being in charge of design team;
- dealing with structural design;
- detailing and supervision of Government buildings, hospitals, schools, housing estates
- and other structures in different materials and various forms of construction;
- distribution of the workload and supervision of execution; and
- liaison with Architects and client Ministries on problems connected with projects under
- the department and also checking and monitoring work produced by consulting engineers
- Planning, design, detailing, preparation of specifications and bills of quantities, contract documents, supervision of bridges, jetties, seawall, dykes, berthing and docking
- Facilities and other structures pertaining to sea, rivers and lakes;
- Distribution of the workload and supervision of execution;
- Preliminary and final estimates;
- Financial control of projects and settlement of the contractual disputes;
- Liaison with client Ministries and Counties on technical problems in connection with the projects under the Department;
- Checking and monitoring work prepared by consultant engineers;
- Formulation of comprehensive training programmes for engineers;
- Checking and certifying payment certificates and other contract documents in liaison
- With the Architects, Roads Engineers and Government agencies and advising on all problems involving structural, civil and marine engineering.
- Designing, detailing, preparation of the specifications, bill of quantities, supervision and maintenance of all civil works which include the sewerage disposal scheme, surface water disposal, roads, parking areas, paved areas for the Government buildings, prisons, schools, hospitals and military establishments; distribution of workload and supervision of execution;
- Liaison with the Architects and client Ministries on problems connected with projects under the Department;
- Checking and monitoring work produced by the consulting engineers;
- Co-ordination of planning and execution of the projects under the Ministry of Water and Irrigation and Counties;
- Checking and certifying payment certificates and other contract documents in liaison with the Architects, Roads
- Engineers and Government agencies and advising on all problems involving structural, civil and marine engineering; and research activities, administration and supervision of all staff working under him/her.
How to Apply
The details of the posts and mode of application can be accessed on the Commission’s website. Interested and qualified persons are requested to make their applications as follows:
Online through the Commission website: www.publicservice.go.ke or jobs portal: www.psckjobs.go.ke OR By completing ONE PSC 2 (Revised 2016) application form. The form may be downloaded from the Commission website.
Completed applications should be sent to: THE SECRETARY/CEO PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION P. O. BOX 30095-00100 NAIROBI So as to reach the Commission on or before 15th June, 2017.
Candidates should NOT attach any documents to the application form. ALL the details requested in the advertisement should be filled on the form. It is an offence to include incorrect information in the application.
Details of academic and professional certificates not obtained by closure of the advert should not be included.
Only shortlisted and successful candidates will be contacted.
Canvassing in any form will lead to automatic disqualification. The Public Service Commission is committed to implementing the provisions of the Constitution – Chapter 232 (1) on fair competition and merit, representation of Kenyans diverse communities and affording equal employment opportunities to men and women, members of all ethnic groups and persons with disabilities.
THEREFORE, PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES, THE MARGINALIZED AND THE MINORITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Shortlisted candidates shall be required to produce originals of their National Identity Card, academic and professional certificates and transcripts during interviews. It is a criminal offence to present fake certificates.
Serving officers shall be required to produce the original letter of appointment to their current substantive post during the interview.