Kenya Red Cross Society is one of the largest humanitarian organizations in Kenya. Its mission is to be the leading humanitarian organization in Kenya delivering excellent quality service of preventing and Alleviating Human Suffering.
The Society is the Principal Recipient of Global Fund Round 10 HIV Grant and seeks to fill the following position:
Position Title: Procurement Manager
Reporting to: General Manager, Supply Chain
Job location: Headquarters – Nairobi
Overall Purpose: Responsible to the General Manager, Supply Chain for development, implementation and evaluation of an effective procurement plan and tender specifications for purchasing supplies and capital equipment in line with the approved budget.
Other responsibilities include developing and implementing an effective procurement and supplies management information system for monitoring and tracking costs of materials, goods and services in order to control expenditure and ensure efficient use of the organisational resources
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical leadership to drive the implementation of procurement and supplies policies and plans aimed at cost effective acquisition of high quality, materials, goods and services
- Prepare strategic procurement plans and budget outlining key activities to be undertaken, the projected cost, funding sources as well as expected outcomes
- Develop and implement flexible and responsive procurement and stores management system for monitoring and tracking costs as well as maintaining up-to-date inventory of goods and services.
- Process approved purchase requisitions and recommending the most appropriate method of procurement, either through direct purchase or through a competitive bidding process.
- Confer with vendors and suppliers to obtain product or service information such as price, availability and delivery schedule. Also obtain estimate value of goods and services through multiple quotations from reliable and competitive suppliers.
- Develop detailed tender specifications and performance standards to facilitate procurement of capital equipment, goods and services in strict compliance with the Society’s approved policy as well as donor requirements
- Organize procurement selection meetings to consider tender applications against approved technical specifications and with due regard to market price, cost, quality and speed of delivery as well as economy of operations.
- Participate in meetings to negotiate procurement contracts with suppliers and vendors and following up to ensure that all contractual obligations are fulfilled within budgetary limitations and in accordance with the performance agreement.
- Prepare purchase orders, obtaining authorised signatures and forwarding procurement documents to the Head of Finance & Accounts for cheque processing. Also follow up with suppliers and vendors to monitor and evaluate the delivery of approved supplies.
- Implement cost-effective disposal of obsolete machinery, equipment, furniture and other salvage goods in accordance with the Society’s and donor policies and procedures.
- Participate in multidisciplinary teams to develop, implement and evaluate strategic management plans, in order to improve performance standards and organisational effectiveness
- Participate in performance management programmes in order to ensure continuous monitoring and measurement against realistic but challenging targets.
- Assess training needs as well as develop and implement on-the-job training programmes aimed at equipping staff with the necessary knowledge and skills to undertake cost-effective procurement and supplies activities.
- Represent the Society at meetings, conferences and workshops and other forums to promote the activities of KRCS and articulate humanitarian relief issues
- Prepare concept papers, periodic progress reports and annual reports showing achievements of the procurement unit against planned targets as well as providing justification for performance variances and areas of improvement
- Bachelor’s degree in Purchasing and Supplies Management plus membership to a professionally recognized body
- Over six (6) years relevant experience in purchasing and supplies management gained from a large organisation
- Considerable knowledge of purchasing methods and procedures; working knowledge of sources of supplies, price trends and grades or quality of materials and equipment;
- Working knowledge of procurement policy and procedures as well as government and donor agencies procedures and regulations for acquisition and disposal of assets
- Proficiency in word processing, database, spreadsheet applications and computerised procurement and stores software packages
- Ability to analyse and process purchasing requisitions and vouchers and make purchasing decisions accordingly;
- Ability to maintain complex purchasing and inventory records;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments, vendors and the public;
- ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, make presentations and conduct negotiations
- Demonstrated experience in preparing, evaluating and awarding of tenders including contract management
How to Apply
Applications should contain: A letter of application, curriculum vitae, copies of academic certificates, address and contacts of two referees.
Applications should be sent to the following address to be received on or before 5:00 pm Friday, 2nd October 2015.
Late applications will not be considered.
Secretary General Kenya Red Cross Society P.O. Box 40712-00100, Nairobi