Job Title: Procurement Specialist
Organisation: Medical Research Council/ Uganda Virus Research Institute (MRC/UVRI)
Funding Source: MRC (UK) and U.S. PEPFAR
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Finance Manager
The Medical Research Council/ Uganda Virus Research Institute (MRC/UVRI) based at the Uganda Virus Research Institute in Entebbe is a bilateral multi-disciplinary research organization funded by, the Medical Research Council (UK) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Uganda under the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) and other donor agencies. Established in 1988, the MRC/UVRI Uganda Research Unit on AIDS is an internationally recognized center of excellence for research on HIV infection and related diseases, contributing knowledge on the revolving epidemic, the evaluation of innovative health care options, treatment and prevention, and the development of health policy and practice in Africa and worldwide.
Job Summary: The Procurement Specialist will take charge of the Procurement section in a manner that empowers them to deliver excellent customer service/satisfaction, with a quick turnaround time ensuring cost-effective utilisation of resources at all times. The incumbent will ensure that MRC obtains value for money in all of its procurement and reviewing current contracts for quality and competitive pricing. He / She will also be tasked to deliver a standard of excellence in the procurement functions which supports end users through a transparent and informative procurement system, which returns value for money and quality products or services to best meet the Unit standards and requirements.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Procurement Planning: Develop procurement plans that will support MRC/UVRI’s operations in the most cost effective and efficient manner, overseeing procurement in Uganda and through the Units UK based procurement system for items purchased in UK
• Maintain close relations with freight forwarding company to place shipment instructions and ensure that imported goods are not delayed at the airport
• Follow Procurement SOPs at all times and gather required number of bids from approved suppliers for each purchase
• Update and maintain approved suppliers list
• Collate procurement requests into a plan that will result in most cost-effective purchasing
• As a member of the Procurement Committee, take lead of the procurement activities of MRC/UVRI, preparing all necessary documentation for tender evaluation meetings
• Responsible for ensuring that services provided by suppliers are up to scratch and organizing user meetings to discuss supplier performance and where necessary taking that up with the supplier for improvement.
Identifying and building relationships with suppliers:
The incumbent will be carrying out prequalification exercise:
• Responsible for developing tender documents, stipulating goods, services and works to be provided
o Placing tender advertisements
o Contracting consultants to review responses
o Drawing up a short list
o Visit supplier premises to ensure integrity of supplier and product
• Requesting short listed suppliers to provide quotations and reviewing them according to MRC/UVRI’s procedures and donor requirements
• Working together with the procurement committee to select suppliers; obtaining required approvals according to MRC/UVRI’s procedures. Where goods are sourced from UK the post holder must liaise closely with the buying agency in UK SBS and the freight forwarding agency in UK and Uganda therefore excellent communication skills in English written and verbal are essential.
• Providing Head office with required information on value and lists of goods procured; keeping of full supporting documentation including import clearance documents from the clearance agent.
• Responsible for trouble shooting any procurement issues.
• Developing standard contracts, ensuring that MRC/UVRI’s interests are protected and that the resultant contract is legally compliant and kept up to date.
• Providing the finance department with statistics and financial figures of all goods procured and assisting on ensuring supplier is paying VAT
• The incumbent will sensitize suppliers so that they comply with MRC/UVRI’s procedures and provide proper documentation that will ensure timely payments to be made; providing them with our tax exemption information in advance
• Ensuring that all activities of MRC/UVRI comply with legal and contractual obligations, especially that timely payments are made; reporting to the appropriate accountable managersin the case of non-compliance
Managing Staff: lead the Procurement section (responsibility for one other member of staff) in a manner that empowers them to deliver excellent customer service and high standards:
• Ensuring that the other member of the team fully understands the outcomes that are expected of them and that they are aware of best practice in procurement and stores management; ensuring that they behave in a way which will maintain good relationships with donors, volunteers and MRC/UVRI staff
• Responsible for ensuring that work is planned and organised in a way which will meet the needs of the department’s customers in the most cost effective manner possible; ensuring that team member is given appropriate workloads and is working efficiently
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• The applicant should hold a good Bachelor’s Degree in Procurement & supply chain management, Commerce, or Business Administration.
• Possession of Full Professional qualification (CIPS)
• A minimum of three years’ experience in a busy procurement office with direct supervision of personnel, with experience of organising tenders and importing goods from abroad
• Prior experience working with ERP packages, MS Office programs, office equipment (printer, fax, copier, and scanners);
• Good people management skills
• Prior experience of MS Dynamics-Navision
• Working knowledge of Oracle ERP system
• Past exposure and experience working in a medical organisation
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their applications letters, copies of academic qualifications and curriculum vitae including names, telephone contacts and email addresses of three (3) referees should be sent only via e mail to: [email protected]
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews
Deadline: 25th September 2015