Republic of Kenya
Ministry of Water and Irrigation
Thwake Multipurpose Water Development Programme – Phase 1
Expression of Interest: Program Engineer
The Government of Kenya has received financing from the African Development Bank (ADB) towards the cost of the Thwake Multi-Purpose Water Development Program (TMWDP) Phase 1.
The executing agency, the Ministry of Water & Irrigation (MOWI), has begun the implementation of the program, which involves the development of a 77m high dam on the confluence of the Athi and Thwake Rivers.
Further downstream interventions, including water supply and sanitation for surrounding districts, energy generation, irrigation development and water supply to Konza Techno City will be implemented in subsequent phases of the program.
A program Implementation Team (PIT) has been constituted to run the day to-day activities of the program.
Responsibilities of the PIT include
- coordination of land compensation and all Resettlement Action Plan (RAP) and related activities,
- coordination with the supervision consultant and civil works contractor,
- ensuring all the studies identified to enhance phase 1 of the project are undertaken,
- undertaking all fiduciary responsibilities related to the implementation and the attendant Monitoring and Evaluation and reporting requirements of the program.
- The PIT is located in Kitui and liaises directly with the ADB experts supporting the Program.The PIT
- reports to the Principal Secretary, Ministry of Water & Irrigation (MOWI).
- In light of the above brief, the MOWI wishes to recruit the following positions to be part of the PIT to implement the first phase of the TMWDP:
Ref: MOWI / TMWDP /C002/2015-2016:
The Program Engineer (PE) will
- provide technical expertise to supervise the consulting team(s) as well as conduct overall quality monitoring of all construction works;
- review all engineering consultant’s design, estimates, adhoc feasibility studies and supervision reports and appropriately advice the Program Coordinator;
- co-ordinate in-country training of field staff;
- assist Program Coordinator in site visits and to inspect test report of various materials related to works; assist the Program Coordinator in the preparation and updating of the annual work plan and Quarterly Progress Reporting;
- attend all site meeting, as may be required by Program Coordinator in the implementation of the project for purpose of coordination and monitoring technical aspect;
- inspect the safety and environmental protection aspect of construction works and methods to ensure that every reasonable measures has been taken to protect life, environment and property;
- closely coordinate with the Program Coordinator to facilitate timely review of documents related to billing, payment and procurement;
- perform other related duties as assigned by the program coordinator as related to the Program management from time to time.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
- The Program Engineer should demonstrate the following qualifications and experience:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Civil, Water or Power Engineering or other relevant Engineering disciplines
- A relevant Master’s Degree will be an added advantage;
- Must be registered with the Engineers Registration Board of Kenya and be a Corporate member of Institution of Engineers of Kenya or Equivalent;
- Must possess at least 10 years of work experience in relevant fields of civil works, preferably multipurpose dams;
- Must be computer literate with demonstrable proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Ms-Project;
- Must demonstrate competency in use of AutoCAD;
- Must have excellent writing, presentation and interpersonal skills; and
- Must possess excellent analytical skills and ability to effectively communicate with a broad range of audiences.
Remuneration: Remuneration will be competitive and will reflect the selected candidate’s expertise and relevant work experience.
Duration of Assignment: The duration of this employment shall be five (5) years, renewable annually at the same conditions and subject to satisfactory performance. The same conditions will be applied to any contract extension beyond the five (5) years should that be required.
Selection Method: Selection of an Individual Consultant will be in accordance with African Development Bank’s Rules and Procedures for use of Consultants dated May 2008, amended from time to time. The selection criteria will solely be based on individuals experience and qualifications.
Invitation for EOI
The Ministry of Water and Irrigation (the client) now invites interested candidates to express their interest in providing these services.
How to Apply
Interested consultants must provide their CVs and information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (e.g. description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, availability of appropriate skills, etc). The completed expression of interest documents in writing in three (3) copies must be delivered to the Tender Box on Ground Floor, Maji House, Ngong Road or send to the address below so as to be received on or before 28th September, 2015, 10:00 Kenyan Local time. Openning will follow immediately thereafter in Room 449 on Fourth Floor. The expression of interest must be in plain sealed envelopes and clearly marked with the respective reference number for the position applied for and addressed to: Program Manager Thwake Multipurpose Water Development Programme-Phase 1 Ministry of Water & Irrigation, Maji House, Ngong Road, P.O. Box 49720-00100, Nairobi. Tel: +254 02 2716103 Ext. 42258