The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. Headquartered in New York City, UNDP advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. It provides expert advice, training, and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary Of Key Functions
Under the overall guidance of the UN Women Kenya Deputy Country Director, and the direct supervision of the Peace and Security Specialist, the Programme Analyst will ensure effective programme planning and management as well as policy development and implementation by carrying out the following functions:
- Project Development and Management;
- Inter-agency Coordination Support;
- Strategic partnerships and resource mobilization Support;
- Advocacy support and Knowledge building and management.
Project Development And Management
- Formulation of project documents and implementation strategies, work-plans of the project, following up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken, and coordinating the collection and submission of reports to the Peace and Security Specialist;
- Contributes substantively to the analysis and research of the peace and security situation in the country, with a specific focus on trends of violent extremism within the country, and preparation of substantive inputs to the UNW country office programme planning;
- Keeps abreast of new policy developments and strategies regarding peace, security and preventing/countering violent extremism and analyzing policy papers, strategy documents, national plans and development frameworks, and prepares briefs and inputs for policy dialogue, technical assistance coordination, and development frameworks;
- Participates in the design and formulation of project initiatives translating UNW’s priorities into local interventions, specifically with regards to the identification of implementing partners, and ensuring substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches;
- Helps ensure quality of project design incorporating lessons learned, newly developed policies and best practices within the field of peace, security and preventing/countering violent extremism and establishing appropriate execution and monitoring mechanisms and systems;
- Expedites and coordinates project implementation establishing collaborative relationships with executing agencies, experts, government counterparts and other UN agencies facilitating timely and efficient delivery of inputs;
- Ensures effective application of RBM tools and monitoring achievement of results;
- Conducts field visits to supervise, coordinate and monitor field level activities of portfolio;
- Administrative and financial management of the project focusing on achievement of the programmatic and financial results.
Inter-Agency Coordination Support
- Provides technical support to the Peace and Security Specialist on inter-agency coordination activities related to preventing and countering violent extremism in Kenya;
- Takes part in country level UNDAF processes and similar exercises related to the RC system ensuring that gender and P/CVE concerns are clearly reflected and mainstreamed in process;
- Under guidance prepares analytical and regular progress reports on UN Women´s program experiences regarding preventing/countering violent extremism in support of UN women inter-agency coordination role.
Strategic Partnerships Building And Resource Mobilization Support
- Supports strategic partnerships by preparing relevant documentation, i.e. programme summaries, conference papers, speeches;
- Supports strategic partnerships and resource mobilization efforts by preparing relevant documentation, i.e. programme summaries, conference papers, speeches, donor profiles, and participating in donor meetings and public information events;
- Provides inputs to resource mobilization strategies, analyzing and maintaining information and databases on donors and developing database of programme profiles for presentation to donors;
- Analyses and researches information on donors, prepares substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing;
- Follows up on resource on mobilization activities for fund raising for new programme in coordination with the Peace and Security Specialist.
Advocacy Support And Facilitation Of Knowledge Building And Management
- Proactively and substantively supports and implements relevant, high-impact advocacy activities and campaigns with key partners;
- Helps create and document knowledge about current and emerging trends within the field of peace and security with a specific focus on the role of women in preventing and countering violent extremism by analyzing programmes, projects, strategies, approaches and ongoing experience for lessons learned, best practices, and in liaison with M&E and Communication team, shares with management for use in knowledge sharing and planning future strategies;
- Proactively contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact Of Results
The Programme Analyst will contribute to the smooth and successful implementation of UN Women’s Peace and Security, Humanitarian Action and DRR Strategic Result Area. The key results have an impact on the success of the country programme within the areas of cooperation, in particular, key results on Preventing and Countering Violent Extremism Programme.
Core values and Guiding principles:
- Demonstrating consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
Cultural Sensitivity/Valuing Diversity
- Demonstrating an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its workforce;
- Demonstrating an international outlook, appreciating differences in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ability to work collaboratively and collegiately with internal and external stakeholders to achieve corporate goals;
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work;
- Capacity to anticipate and address difficult issues.
Ethics And Values
- Demonstrate and promote ethics and integrity by creating organizational precedents.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
Development And Innovation
- Support staff competence development, and contribute to an environment of creativity and innovation.
Work In Teams
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Appropriate And Transparent Decision Making
- Ensure fair and transparent decision making processes and manage risk.
- Demonstrated development/programming skills particularly those that are pertinent to UN Women strategic priorities on gender issues and women’s rights;
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects;
- Ability to develop detailed operational plans, budgets, and deliver on them for development results;
- Good knowledge of Results Based Management principles and approaches;
- Ability to establish and maintain broad strategic networks and partnerships with UN agencies and other international partners to promote partnership and build alliances to advance organizational interests and competencies;
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice;
- Demonstrated good oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team;
- Excellent planning and organizational skills;
- Knowledge of specifics of UN Women/UNDP rules and procedures is an advantage.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Social Science; Gender Studies, International Development, Law, Human Rights, Political Science, International Relations or another related field.
- Minimum 2 years of progressively responsible work experience in programming and development and gender;
- Prior experience working on women, peace and security issues in Kenya;
- Experience in international organizations, such as the UN, or other regional or international intergovernmental / non-governmental organizations is an asset;
- Good knowledge of MS Word, Excel or equivalent software.
- Written and oral proficiency in English is required;
- Knowledge of another UN working language is an asset.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to UNDP career website on jobs.undp.org to apply