Programme Officer –Urban Planning And Development Job at Council Of Governors
The Council of Governors (CoG) is established under Section 19 of the Intergovernmental Relations Act 2012 with the mandate to provide a mechanism for consultation amongst County Governments, share information on performance of the counties in execution of their functions, facilitate capacity building for governors, and consider reports from other intergovernmental forums on national and county interests amongst other functions (Section 20).
To enable the Council achieve its mandate and vision, the Council wishes to recruit results oriented individual with drive, vision and creativity to fill the following position:
Programme Officer –Urban Planning and Development
- The Programme Officer –Urban Planning and Development will report to the Director of Programmes and work in close collaboration with the Committee Clerk in charge of the Land, Physical Planning and Urban Development Committee.
- He/she will be responsible for coordinating Urban Planning and Development activities within the Council of Governors.
Programme Officer Job Duties and responsibilities:-
- Lead the CoG initiative of guiding and assisting County Governments in the establishment of institutional structures for planning, development and management of urban areas; including through participation in programme development, resource mobilization and coordination of implementation of CoG urban development programmes; and ensuring that CoG constitutional mandate is safeguarded;
- Coordination of intra and inter agency and governmental consultations on urban planning , management and development issues, including existing and evolving urban planning , management and development policies, legislation, regulations and Programmes; and ensuring that CoG constitutional mandate is safeguarded;
- Coordination and harmonization of CoG positions and priorities on urban planning, management and development matters.
- In consultation with the Director of Programmes, support the Development and implementation of a framework for development partners’ engagement and
support to County Governments on urban planning, management and development issues.
- In consultation with the director of programmes, support the preparation and coordination of the participation of County Governments in local, regional and international conferences on planning, management and development issues.
- In consultation with the committee clerk in-charge of urban development support the overall coordination of the Urban Development Secretariat.
- Lead and coordinate the preparation of joint annual, semi-annual and quarterly work plans and budgets for the Urban Development Secretariat.
- Coordinate the identification, recruitment and management of technical inputs for the Urban Development Secretariat.
- Ensure there is coordination between CoG and partners supporting the Urban Development Committee/Secretariat.
- Convene and coordinate technical inputs from the Urban Sector Reference Group.
- Ensure that activities of the Urban Development Secretariat are implemented as per the schedule and in line with any contractual agreements, strategic plan and other relevant documents.
- Manage risks and escalate issues as necessary to Council of Governors Director of Programmes and Chief Executive Officer.
- Represent the Council of Governors externally including at events and with external stakeholders.
- Advise on strategic decisions including technical assistance and division of responsibilities between partners and risk management.
- Formulate, coordinate and monitor delivery of annual work plans.
- Monitor performance and results against targets, taking corrective action as necessary
- Manage funds allocated to the Urban Development Secretariat.
Outputs related results
- Activities of the Urban Development Secretariat are delivered as per the annual work plans and associated budgets developed.
- Achievement of stated results for the Urban Development Secretariat.
- Any issues in the Urban Development Secretariat are identified and resolved early;
Relationship related results
- Evidence of a collaborative working relationship within the Urban Development Secretariat.
- Evidence of a collaborative working relationship with development partners and donors supporting the Urban Development Secretariat.
- Positive feedback from the Land, Physical Planning and Urban Development Committee regarding the performance of the Urban Development Secretariat.
- Positive external perceptions of the Urban Development Secretariat e. g within the consultative networks, with donors, development partners and stakeholders in Kenya
Required qualifications and experience for Programme Officer Job
- A Bachelor´s degree in Urban and Regional Planning.
- Master’s degrees in Planning, Environmental Planning and Management, Natural Resource Management, Land Economics or any other related social Science is highly preferred.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in Urban Planning and Development work.
- Working experience from Government of Kenya.
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to research, digest, analyze and present material clearly and concisely.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work on her/his own initiative.
- Honesty and reliability and attention to detail.
- Flexibility and adaptability to juggle a range of different tasks and to work extra hours to meet deadlines.
- Discretion and an understanding of confidentiality
The contract duration is for one (1) year renewable subject to availability of resources.
How to Apply
- Interested candidates should send a CV, cover letter, copies of ID, certificates, testimonials, current and expected remuneration, names and addresses of three referees to [email protected] on or before Friday, 22nd July 2016 and indicate the name of the position you are applying for as the Email subject.