Oxfam’s purpose is to work with others to overcome poverty and suffering around the world, and in Rwanda we focus on the promotion of Sustainable Livelihoods, Participatory Governance and advancing gender equality and women’s empowerment so that all people- women, men, boys and girls have equal abilities and opportunities to lead more fulfilling lives. The OXFAM Confederation is made up of 17 OXFAM affiliates (including Oxfam GB) working with across 92 countries. OXFAM affiliates work closely together as a global movement, working with others to bring about lasting changes in the lives of people living in poverty and injustice. We are currently recruiting for an experienced Rwandese national for the following position:
You will handle financial aspects of Oxfam Rwanda Program. The implementation and monitoring of the financial aspects of the assigned specific project, the management of the financial risks and opportunities, and to provide for the appraisal and analysis of the necessary financial aspects of the proposals and reports for donors. To contribute actively to the management of Oxfam in Rwanda Programme resources and support budget holders in financial management. Custodian of accounting procedures and information through provision of timely quality reports for decision-making. Ensure cost-effectiveness in the accounting processes in the programme. Supports in the projects’ budgeting processes and budget monitoring. You will:
• Prepares the financial management reports in line with the standards of the donor, including analysis, and submits them to line manager for approval.
• Monitors periodically the approvals, spending and performance of projects and revises the financial planning where necessary.
• Checks and appraises the financial reports and audits of partner organisations, communicates on the findings with relevant decision makers within the program as well as partners themselves, and where necessary makes proposals for follow-up.
• Process supplier and other payments related to the projects implementation within the agreed terms and follow up with the logistics team to ensure payment is done according to the rules and procedures of Oxfam GB
• Analyse financial data related to projects to support decision making and cost effectiveness reviews in the Rwanda programme.
• Prepare project monthly BVAs for programme monitoring and action
• Monitoring and management of expenditure and budgets, for projects; to provide support to budget holders in using OPAL and CRIMSON.
• Liaising with external and internal auditors from time to time and follow up of auditors’ queries and recommendation.
• Provide adequate partner management support through linking with programme team in assessments and monitoring of partner grants utilization.
• In collaboration with program officers, checks and appraises the financial management systems and practices and where necessary makes proposals to partners and or works out ideas for their improvement and strengthening.
• Be an active member of the Rwanda programme team, supporting colleagues and the Programme and providing leadership beyond Projects’ Accountant role.
• Participate in general management processes including activity planning, budgeting, fundraising and reviews.
• Undertake any other duties as required from time to time that might be assigned by the Business Support Lead.
To be successful in this role, you will have a minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Finance and professional Finance/ accounting qualifications such as ACCA Have a strong capacity and creativity in leading and facilitating participatory methodologies to meaningfully engage beneficiaries and receiving their feedback, minimum of 3- 5 years working experience in the field of Finance having an experience of working with multiple partners, financed by external donors and experience in accounting systems, strong working knowledge of Rwandese and International financial and accounting principles and relevant regulations on tax, VAT etc. In addition you will:
• Handling queries (general) – wide-ranging internal and external, including detailed information.
• Work on day-to-day accounting; processing payments and entering them in automated system.
• Inform the Business Support Manager of any major discrepancies or problems and assisting in resolving relevant issues/problems.
• Have an excellent spoken and written English and French; Working knowledge of Kinyarwanda.
• Commitment to Oxfam’s philosophy, aims and policies (especially gender relations)
• Working understanding of project cycle
• Must be a person of integrity.
• Be able to work on own initiative & under pressure and to meet deadlines
• Strong organizational network experience, with experience working in a learning environment, and an ability to identify clear lessons and important issues that can be shared with others to constantly improve performance
• Have an ability to identify opportunities and to develop innovative strategy designs.
How to apply:
This opportunity is for a dedicated and highly motivated professional, with a strong commitment to Oxfam’s values and beliefs. If you meet the criteria outlined above, please apply online attaching your application letter and CV, with contact details of your most recent line manager as part of your referees.
Use this link to apply: [email protected] . The closing date for this vacancy is Friday, 25th September 2015.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Please note that we are an equal opportunities organisation and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female and disabled candidates.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization.