Project Assistant – Nutrition Jobs at Kenya Red Cross Society
Reporting to:Project Officer
Kenya Red Cross Society is one of the largest humanitarian organisations in Kenya. Its vision is to be the most effective, most trusted and self-sustaining humanitarian organization in Kenya, serving present and future generations.
The Society is looking for a qualified person to fill the Project Assistant – Nutrition position.
The principal function of the post holder is to provide technical support to the project officer on nutrition aspects of the Maternal Child Health project in Mombasa County-Turdor Slums, Kenya as well as overseeing implementation of the high impact nutrition interventions supported by MOH in the project area as well as working closely with other partners.
Duties and Responsibilities for the Project Assistant Job
- Provide technical support to health workers and Red Cross volunteers through joint trainings with DNO, and other stakeholders on high impact nutrition interventions being implemented by the MOH in accordance with GOK requirements.
- Support the Project officer in identifying and applying best practices ensure adequate data collection systems and ensure that programs meet the required quality standards at the implementation level by supporting RH/MCH services and systems at the district and community level as appropriate.
- Coordinate with the County Nutrition support officer and other partners in managing and undertaking nutrition surveillance, active screening and referral systems for children under 5, pregnant and lactating women
- In close collaboration with relevant partners, County Government, County Nutrition support officer and other partners, identify nutrition education needs of the community and staff aimed at promoting application of good nutritional practices
- Provide technical expertise to the project team in monitoring and reporting on the nutrition component of the project.
- Ensure project nutrition actions meet required standards and thresholds for performance and quality.
- Collaborate with key opinion leaders, MOH and other stakeholders to support local leadership and communities in identifying nutrition ambassadors who are champions in promoting and applying good nutrition practices in their households.
- Provide on the job support supervision and mentor the project staff who include CHW and RC volunteers on nutrition aspects of the project with a view of creating and sustaining capacity on nutrition.
- Support the processes which will regularly review programs and logistics systems.
- Attend district and divisional nutrition and food security partner meetings and identify areas of potential collaboration amongst the actors and the KRCS project.
- Assist the Project Officer in ensuring that Red Cross is represented in relevant district/county coordination teams in liaison with County Government and other partners on nutrition.
- Implement project activities which oversee equity-based village-selection process; Red – Cross-CHW/Vs selection, training and supervision. Core to this will be mainstreaming reporting and transparency in all the processes with a view of ensuring accountability to beneficiaries.
- Support the project identification of nutrition needs for the project .e.g nutrition anthropometry and surveillance equipment for health facilities within the project site.
- In close working with the other members of the health team, the project nutritionist will work with the DPHN to assist in the development of an integrated outreach-plan targeting poorest and most vulnerable populations in the project area.
- Support communities to democratically identify and nominate volunteers and CHW who will be implementing the project. Train the volunteers and CHW on nutrition components of the project.
- Provide nutrition training (IYCN, Nutrition screening-recognition/management, DHIS) to CHW/V-supervisors, referral-health-facility staff, Red-Cross-CHW/Volunteers, Red-Cross-facilitators.
- Provided on the job training to CHW/Volunteers-supervisors as well as the CHW/Volunteers on nutrition aspects of the project (gender/beneficiary accountability)
- Undertake refresher nutrition trainings for Red-Cross-CHW/Volunteers
- Integrate identification of malnutrition in MNCH activities and during other activities that are centred on early illness-recognition and care-seeking behaviours.
- Participate in community activities organized by the project team, as well as those organized by community and explore areas where nutrition activities can be integrated and also promoted during the community events.
- Conduct, through Red-Cross-CHW/Volunteers, BCC education and household visits to assess malnourished children, administer appropriate advice/treatment, ensure adherence to referrals and adoption of new behaviours.
- Support the project officer in developing the nutrition component of the annual strategic community-based health plan and budget aligned to the society’s strategic objectives as well as government health policies and strategies.
- Establish a community based nutrition steering committee that will oversee community activities with a view of ensuring sustainability.
- Participate in the development and implementation of the project M&E strategy
- Support the project officer in training locally recruited branch – level Red Cross- facilitators: Red Cross induction package, Red Cross Community-based Health and First Aid (CBHFA), MOH’s iCCM approach, effective educational-transfer techniques, MNCH-related BCC messages and communication skills.
- Participate in developing and implementing a clear handover/exit strategy to County Government
- Prepare concept papers, periodic progress and annual reports showing achievements against planned targets as well as providing justification for performance variance and areas of improvement for the nutrition component of the project.
Project Assistant Job Qualifications
- BSc. in Nutrition (preferred) or higher diploma with a minimum of three years’ experience
- In depth experience and understanding of Infant, young child and maternal nutrition interventions.
- At least two years field experience, preferably with an NGO and or MoH.
- Experience in application of social behavioural change communication strategies in promotion of optimal nutrition practices.
- Sound planning and organizational skills.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Strong computer skills particularly Microsoft Office and data analysis packages.
How to Apply
- Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications should send their applications to the address below on or before 31st October 2016.
- Secretary General Kenya Red Cross Society P.O. Box 40712-00100, Nairobi
- Applications should have a cover letter, curriculum vitae, names and contacts of three referees.