Kenya Red Cross Society is one of the largest humanitarian organizations in Kenya.
Its mission is to be the leading humanitarian organization in Kenya delivering excellent quality service of preventing and Alleviating Human Suffering.
The Society is looking for a qualified person to fill the following position:
Position Title: Project Officer
Reporting to: County Manager
Job Location: Nairobi
Job Summary: Reporting to the County manager,the Project Officer is responsible for effective planning, budgeting and implementation of the Sexual and Gender Based Violence Prevention and Response Project in the country.
Other responsibilities include building and strengthening partnerships with key partners and other stakeholders, creating synergies, referral linkages and enhancing collaboration and networking.
Main Functions of Post:
- Designing, planning &implementation of Strategies for preventing & responding to SGBV
- Conduct community sensitizations on the goals, objectives, activities and implementation of the Project as well as partner with necessary stakeholders.
- Developing and maintaining positive and professional working relationship with partners
- Collaborate with relevant National and County Government Departments to ensure successful implementation of project activities
- Facilitate and organize training programs aimed at creating awareness and building the capacity of the target community to implement social mobilization and violence prevention strategies
- Build community partnerships, identification and mobilization of potential violence survivors as well as building the capacity of volunteer community leaders to support the project.
- Participate in the design, development, implementation awareness and sensitization campaigns aimed at equipping and strengthening staff, volunteers and communities with capacity to mainstream Sexual Violence Prevention in their programs.
- Maintain awareness of budget and expenditures in order to manage the program within budget
- Provide guidance on effective budget utilization among supervisory units
- Coordinate the acquisition of project resources and closely track the budget in line with the approved financial projections and WPS
- Conduct gender-focused BCC activities that will lead to a reduction in harmful practices
- Establish effective referral/patient-transport system.
- Compliance with policies, strategies and standards (RC and MoH)
- Establish Project Steering Committe in the project sites and ensure linkages with HQ Project Steering Committee
- Familiarise with local issues related to Gender Based Violence and support the volunteers and relavant project staff to develop sensible and feasible ways to influence positive change
- Ensure at the field level that project volunteers and staff have necessary tools for implementation of the planned community work including relevant adapted IEC materials
- Project Monitoring & Evaluation
- Analyzing, compiling and submitting monthly SGBV reports to the County Manager and Programme Manager for sharing
- Contribute to the development of project proposal, concept notes & publications
- Regularly monitoring of activities and provide feedback for adjustment of activities as needed.
- Ensuring that assigned projects achieve set goals, objectives and outcomes
- Assisting in mid-term or end of project evaluations on SGBV
- Conducting regular home visits to assess and verify activities
- Develop and implement clear handover/exit strategy to relevant ministries.
Report writing & documentation
- Prepare periodic progress, quarterly and annual reports showing achievements against planned targets as well as providing justification for performance variances and areas of improvement
- Developing annual procurement plans and timely procurement of project items
- Keeping inventory of all items in the project implementation site disaggregated by age and gender
- Assisting in the preparation of the programmes’ operation plans/work plans & reviews
- Hold monthly sessions with project volunteers and prepare weekly work plans for the project
- Assigning tasks to project volunteers to ensure effective, efficient and timely implementation
- Provide project volunteers with counselling support and mentoring.
- Fulfil any other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
Experience, skills and qualifications
- BSc in Social Services/ Gender or equivalent qualifications
- In-depth experience and understanding of mainstreaming gender issues into programming
- At least two years field experience, preferably with an NGO and or MoH.
- Strong background in training and commitment to capacity building.
- Ability to find solutions to complex problems in a challenging environment.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills.
- Project management skills including PMER
- Coordination and networking
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Strong computer skills Flexible, ability to work both as an individual and as a team leader and under stress in what can be a harsh environment.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications should send their applications to the address below and the application should be received on or before 25th September 2015.
Applications should have a cover letter, curriculum vitae, names and contacts of three referees.
Interested candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Secretary General Kenya Red Cross Society P.O. Box 40712-00100, Nairobi