Director Public Health Job at Public Service Commission, Kenya
ONE (1) Post – V/NO 19/2016
Basic Salary Scale: Ksh.120,270 p.m. – Ksh.180,660 p.m. – (Job Group ‘S)
Public Health Director Job Duties and Responsibilities
The Director, Public Health will be responsible to the Director, Medical Services for the administration and coordination of all the activities of the Public Health function. Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- formulating, implementing, interpreting and reviewing public health policies, guidelines, standards and procedures;
providing guidance on compliance to the Public Health Act (Cap. 242), the Food, Drugs and Chemical Substances, Act (Cap. 254) Tobacco Control Act, 2007 Alcoholic Drinks Control Act, 2010 Bio- safety Act 2009, Malaria Prevention and Control Act (Cap 246), Meat Control Act (Cap 356) and any other relevant legislation on public health;
- providing technical advice on promotive and preventive health;
- planning and implementing promotive and preventive health projects and programmes;
- overseeing the development and management of public and private mortuaries, cemeteries and crematories;
- providing leadership in research on public health trends and any other emerging issues; and
- mobilizing resources and fostering collaboration and partnership with bilateral and multilateral agencies in support of public health programmes.
Qualification for Public Health Director Job
- at least fifteen (15) years’ experience in the management of Public Health , three (3) of which should be at the grade of Assistant Director, Public Health, Job Group ‘P’ and above;
- a Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Health, Public Health or equivalent qualification from a university recognized Kenya;
- a Post Graduate Diploma in any of the following disciplines: Food Science and Inspection; Solid Waste Management, Occupational Health and safety, Epidemiology, Health promotion and Education or equivalent qualifications from recognized institutions;
- a Masters degree in any of the following: Environmental Health, Public Health, Epidemiology, Food Safety and Quality, Food Science and Technology, Community Health, Occupational Health and Safety, Health Promotion and Education, Solid Waste Management or Disaster Management from a university recognized in Kenya;
- attended a Strategic Leadership course in a recognized institution;
- demonstrated a high degree of professional competence and administrative capability required for effective planning, direction, control and coordination of clinical Services Function; and
- a clear understanding of the government’s policies on public health, other development priorities and the role of the department in the achievement of the same.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified persons are requested to make their applications as follows: online through one of the Commission’s websites here and here OR by completing ONE PSC 2 (Revised 2016) application form. The form may be downloaded from the Commission’s websites. Please Note
- Candidates should NOT attach any documents to the application form. ALL the details requested in the advertisement should be filled on the form.
- Only shortlisted and successful candidates will be contacted.
- Canvassing in any form will lead to automatic disqualification.
- Shortlisted candidates shall be required to produce originals of their National Identity Card, academic and professional certificates and transcripts during interviews.
- Serving officers shall be required to produce the original letter of appointment to their current substantive post during the interview.
Completed applications should be sent or delivered to: THE SECRETARY/CEO PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION COMMISSION HOUSE P.O. BOX 30095 – 00100 NAIROBI so as to reach the Commission on or before 12th May, 2016