Our client, an autonomous Public Research Institute is charged with the mandate of providing quality public policy advice to the Government of Kenya, private sector and other stakeholders in order to contribute to the achievement of national long-term development goals.
The Institute contributes to improved public policy making and implementation through:
- Conducting objective public policy research and analysis;
- informing and providing advice during policy-making process;
- Building capacity of the Government of Kenya and other partners to absorb, undertake and analyze public policy;
- strengthening working modalities with the Government of Kenya and other stakeholders.
Towards meeting the requirements of this mandate and in enhancing institutional capacity, our client invites applications from qualified candidates to fill the following positions within its establishment.
Job Ref: MMC/2303
Job Purpose: The Executive Director will be responsible to the Board of Directors and shall have overall responsibility in ensuring that Institute’s mandate is attained as per the relevant Act.
The Executive Director will provide strategic direction and leadership to the Institute whilst consistently ensuring the highest standards of operations.
- Overall responsibility for the Institution’s resources, operations and being accountable for its activities.
- Plan and coordinate the overall research program of the Institute including emerging issues for public policy research
- Review and validate the Institute’s work plans, and budget and present the same to the Board
- Review key policy papers developed by the Institute and advise the Board of Directors before circulation to key stakeholders.
- Establish guidelines and schedules for regular updating of economic models based on available data and research methodology.
- Establish procedures for effective communication and coordination with the Institute’s key stakeholders.
- Put in place effective financial management policies and systems for monitoring and reporting financial performance, including accountability of funds in tandem with budgetary policy.
- Identify favorable financing partners and facilitate Institutional funding.
- Doctorate Degree in Social Sciences.
- Experience in quantitative economic analysis and public policy research and policy formulation and procedures of the Government.
- Proven leadership ability in policy oriented research and analysis.
- Management experience in the areas of both personnel and budget control.
- Served for a minimum of ten (10) years, five (5) of which must be post PhD and at a senior position management in a Research Institution.
- Have a track record of publications in public policy and research.
- Clear knowledge of Vision 2030 and ability to align research findings to the Vision.
- Demonstrated familiarity with donor funding and resource mobilization.
- Meet the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya.
- Proven track history of creativity, innovation and self-drive.
- Result orientated and ability to handle a sensitive institution.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal and analytical skills, team capability with high professional ethical standing.
Senior Legal Officer
Job Purpose: Reporting functionally to the Board and administratively to the Executive Director, the Senior Legal Officer will provide guidance to the Board on their duties and responsibilities on matters of governance and will also be responsible for ensuring that the legal framework and any supporting policies and procedures are clearly documented and complied with.
- Provide corporate governance advisory and practical support to the Board of Directors, its members and the institute for the effective discharge of their duties and responsibilities whilst ensuring compliance with the applicable laws, regulations and codes of ethics.
- Ensure statutory compliance through regular monitoring and implementation of legal, regulatory and policy requirements including filing of statutory returns, Board records, Institute’s key records, Assets registers and maintenance of a disaster recovery program.
- Coordinate the timely publication and distribution of the Institute’s annual report and accounts including interim statements, in consultation with the Institute’s internal and external advisors.
- Provide guidance and practical timely support to ensure effective and efficient Board and committee meetings / processes by facilitating proper constitution, clear terms of reference, well-articulated agenda and minutes, including following up of actions points.
- Take responsibility to arrange new Directors’ induction, conducting Training needs assessment for the Board and implementing appropriate interventions to meet statutory and regulatory requirements, ensure effective Board and Committee evaluations.
- Degree in law or relevant field from a university recognized in Kenya
- Certified Public Secretary (CPS)
- Member of the Institute of Certified Public Secretary of Kenya in good standing
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience as a Legal Officer or in similar governance role.
- Meet the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya
- Exceptional organization skills
- Honest with attention to detail
- Critical thinker and problem solver
- Confident and keen listener
Interested Candidates must obtain and submit with their application copies of clearance certificates from the following Organizations:-
- Kenya Revenue Authority (Tax Compliance Certificate).
- Higher Education Loans Board.
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission.
- Criminal Investigation Department (Certificate of Good Conduct).
How to Apply
- Candidates who meet the above requirements should submit their applications so as to reach the address shown below by close of business on 15th April 2016 at 5.00pm.
- Applications to include CVs with details of day time contacts, current and expected salary, notice period required to take up appointment, names and contacts of three referees. Applicants must also attach copies of all Certificates / Testimonials, and copy of National ID or Passport.
- Executive Selection, Masmec Ltd, Simco Plaza, 4th Floor Suite 401, Lusaka Road, P.O Box 40969-00100, Nairobi.
- Or emailed to: [email protected]
- or hand delivered and registered in the applications’ register at the physical address shown.
- Applications without the relevant qualifications, copies of documentation /details as sought will not be considered.
- Any form of canvassing shall lead to automatic disqualification.
- Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted