Job Group Mr 16
Our Client, The Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) is a State Corporation established in Kenya in The Science Technology and Innovation Act, 2013 as the national body responsible for carrying out research in human health in Kenya. In line with its vision to be a leading centre of excellence in human health research and its mission to improve human health and quality of life through research, capacity building, innovation and service delivery; KEMRI invests in its human resources through robust talent management initiatives.
KEMRI would like to recruit a dynamic, innovative, highly motivated and experienced Deputy Director, Research and Development to drive the achievement of its strategic objectives and fulfill its vision and mission.
Research And Development Job Responsibilities
- Responsible to the Chief Executive Officer/Director, the Deputy Director Research and Development will direct and implement the Institute’s research and development policies, objectives, and initiatives and ensure all research and development activities undertaken will fulfill KEMRI’s mandate and strategic objectives.
- Oversee the preparation and implementation of strategic plans and annual work plans for the Centers, Scientific programmes and the Scientific Ethical Review Unit (SERU);
- Develop and implement an Institutional Research Policy in line with KEMRI’s strategic objectives and professional and statutory requirements;
- Spearhead the development and implementation of resource mobilization strategies to support research and innovations in the Institute;
- Establish strategic partnerships with key identified stakeholders for research, innovations, and technology transfer and product development as well as collaborations and links with professional institutions and related bodies in advancing the Institute’s interest;
- Approve commercialization of research products, services, and support intellectual property protection and related activities;
- Oversee the development, implementation and co-ordination of training programmes and capacity building activities in the Institute;
- Ensure prudent resource management and compliance to budgetary requirements and financial reporting;
- Interpret the Science, Technology and Innovation Act and other relevant statutes in and provide professional guidance to the
- Institute to ensure all research all initiatives undertaken by KEMRI are compliant with research policy, regulation, standards and guidelines;
- Drive the translation, dissemination and implementation of research findings and recommendations through policy briefs, publications and patents;
- Ensure maintenance of accurate and up to database of all Research assets including research projects and intellectual properties;
Qualifications For Research And Development Job
- Served in a senior research position for a minimum period of 10 years 5 of which must have been in senior management level;
- A proven track record in scientific research supported by funding and at least ten (10) scientific publications in referred journal;
- A proven track record in leadership and management with at least seven (7) years of experience at Senior Management level.
- Strategic management experience will be a definite added advantage;
- Bachelors degree in any of the following fields;- Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary Medicine, Pharmacy, Biomedical Sciences, Public
- Health or any relevant Social Science from a recognized Institution;
- Masters degree in any of the following fields;-, Medicine/Pharmacy/Dentistry, Veterinary Medicine, Biomedical Sciences, Public
- Health, Community Health, Epidemiology, or any relevant Social Science from recognized institution;
- Doctor of Philosophy degree in any of the following fields:- Biomedical Sciences, Public Health, Clinical Medicine/ Surgery/
- Community Health, Epidemiology or any relevant Social Sciences from a recognized institution;
- Meet the requirement of Chapter six of the Constitution;
- Demonstrate a high degree of integrity, honesty and commitment to good corporate governance and excellence in performance; and
- Membership to a relevant professional body;
How to Apply