Qualitative Specialist NGO Job in Uganda
Abt Associates is bidding to provide Independent Evaluation Services in support of USAID’s Evaluation of Two Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) program activities in Uganda. Abt is seeking a Qualitative Specialist to assist with the evaluation. The evaluation will include a qualitative component, for which it will be necessary to conduct qualitative comparative analysis. Qualified candidates have experience with QCA methods and conducting qualitative data analysis using analysis software. He/she should also be familiar with the OVC context in Uganda.
The purpose of the evaluation is to provide the Mission with rigorous evidence regarding the extent to which two ongoing OVC focused programs did or did not achieve impact on key outcome indicators and to identify factors or combination of factors, within and outside the program, which may explain how impact was achieved. It is expected that the contractor will conduct future data collections over the life of the program as well as data analysis and dissemination of findings. The design is a combination of a nested quasi-experimental approach with qualitative comparative analysis (QCA).
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead the development of the qualitative aspects of the evaluation design, including providing feedback on evaluation questions
- Design a sampling plan and evaluation materials such as interview guides
- Conduct in-depth interviews, focus group discussions, and other qualitative research activities as needed to answer evaluation questions
- Train other team members on qualitative methods as needed
- Lead qualitative analysis, including qualitative comparative analysis, in collaboration with other team members
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Master’s degree in economics, anthropology, sociology, qualitative methods, statistics, or other social science with research experience
- At least five years’ experience conducting/coordinating qualitative research (key informant interviews, focus groups, small-sample surveys, participant observation, etc.)
- Experience conducting qualitative comparative analysis and other qualitative analysis using analysis software
- Experience with impact and/or performance evaluation concepts and survey research
- Experience evaluating projects in the OVC Sector, preferably in sub-Saharan Africa
- PhD in respective field
- Experience evaluating projects in the OVC Sector in Uganda
This is a part-time consultancy position. The period of performance is five years, though candidates can expect that the first and last years will require more time than the interim years.
Application instructions: Please email your CV to [email protected].