Supervision Given: Community Volunteer Workers
The primary responsibility of the Senior Officer, Community Outreach is to coordinate and oversee outreach to urban refugees in Nairobi.
This position will supervise Community Volunteer Workers (CVW) including interpreters, community health workers, community counselors and livelihoods monitors.
Core responsibilities and duties of the position are as follows:
- Liaise with unit heads to identify issues that are best addressed through community outreach;
- Identify community support structures and link refugee clients to the same;
- Conduct prescreening of highlighted cases to determine if a full assessment is needed;
- Collect information from CVWs that contributes to protection monitoring and identification of protection issues in the community;
- Engage communities with respect to age, gender and diversity to ensure that their contribution in program development is always captured.
- Coordinate identification and engagement of CVWs;
- Monitor and mentor Community Volunteer Workers (CVWs) to ensure they provide accurate information to the community in a culturally appropriate way;
- Assess the performance of CVWs and maintain accurate performance records;
- Identify training needs of CVWs and coordinate their training for capacity enhancement.
- Coordinate data collection by community workers;
- Document best practices;
- Ensure training materials and monitoring forms are updated and well documented;
- Prepare monthly reports on community outreach.
- Continuously identify strategic partners for community outreach including local administration and community based organizations;
- Represent RefugePoint at forums that address community outreach and community based protection.
Attend to any other duties as assigned by the Program Manager- Health.
- Degree in Community Health, Public Health, Community Development or other related field;
- Demonstrated understanding of community based approaches and diversity mainstreaming;
- Proven experience setting up and implementing community outreach activities;
- Demonstrated experience managing people;
- Demonstrated experience in training community groups;
- Prior experience working with vulnerable persons;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Social competence skills, diplomacy and integrity;
- Ability to deal with conflict situations;
- Experience working with refugee communities in urban areas.
How to Apply