Regional Director-Africa Jobs, August 2017
Job Title: Regional Director-Africa
Location: Nairobi, Kenya with travel to multiple field locations in the Africa Region
Reports to: Senior Vice President, International Programs (SVP)
About Relief International: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Relief International is seeking experienced candidates for the position of Regional Director (RD) for Africa. The Regional Director will have significant management and international experience, a passion for humanitarian relief and development work, and be capable of successfully leading program teams and operations in four countries currently (Sudan, South Sudan, Somalia and Uganda) as well as exploring potential new programs in the region. Relief International currently employs 600 staff in the region and has a range of emergency response and development programs valued at 25 million USD which is expected to grow and reflect quality improvements in the years to come.
The RD will provide guidance, supervision and support to country directors and senior managers. He/she is directly responsible for the overall regional and country strategic planning, successful program delivery and performance management of country programs within his/her region, as well as oversight of the program support operations (security, finance, HR, operations). In addition, the RD is responsible for strengthening regional-level external relations and coordination. For his/her region and countries the RD will identify, and take steps to mitigate organizational risk. He/she will support the Country Directors by making resources from the regional support team available, in order to ensure that programs meet stated objectives, are in line with RI’s mission, approach and strategy, meet the needs of partner communities, and are implemented to the highest standards, on time, and within budget. The RD also supports all efforts at the regional and country-level in new program development, ensuring that new programs fit within RI’s strategy, are technically sound and meet budgetary requirements.
The Regional Director (RD) will also serve on RI’s global Leadership Team and provide insight and guidance on global-level strategy, approach, systems effectiveness and improvements, and provide to senior management and the CEO a vital field perspective of RI’s work, impact, and efficiency. The RD will ensure strong leadership of all members of the RI Regional Team so as to build team spirit, cohesion, motivation, commitment, quality performance and fulfillment of all agency functions and compliance with all agency policies and procedures, as well as commitments to our stakeholders.
Specific Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide country directors (CDs) with guidance, supervision, and support, making recommendations as and when appropriate, to ensure problem solving and highest quality program implementation.
- Provide program guidance and facilitate technical input as needed to maintain strategic vision
- Ensure quality project implementation through adequate monitoring in coordination with CD and regional staff, and ensure effective linkages between countries and regional/GSO services.
- Lead, with CD and regional/country management team, sufficiently early identification and diagnosis of off-track projects and actively determine feasible strategies to correct such problems.
- Ensure that country level M&E systems are sufficiently robust to provide appropriate management input and realistic program results data.
- Collaborate with CD ensure that all project modifications, adjustments, or no-cost extensions are fully justified and appropriately communicated and agreed by donors.
- Ensure all requested internal and external reporting is completed with the highest quality, responsive to information requirements, and submitted on time.
- Conduct regular country field visits to enable direct staff support and detailed knowledge of activities
- Ensure that all grants and contract correspondence and reports are provided to the GCU and all relevant grant documentation is maintained within the Global Server and other archives as required.
Human Resources (HR)
- Supervise the Regional HR Manager and ensure, through close collaboration and follow-up, that all elements of the RHM’s Terms of Reference are fully met.
- Lead decisions for CD and regional staff recruitment, in coordination with HR and SVP-Program
- With CDs assess staffing requirements for programs and country office and support timely recruitment for expatriate staff in coordination with the Regional HR manager, and in consultation with the CD.
- Provide input on key country-level recruitments, as appropriate
- Ensure complete on-boarding processes for all incoming regional and country staff
- With CDs and HR assess staff training and capacity-building needs and ensure opportunities are provided.
- Ensure staff training and compliance of Child Protection, Sexual Exploitation and Abuse and Harassment, and Code of Conduct policies, and knowledge of reporting misconduct mechanisms.
- Ensure country offices have established training and reporting mechanisms for project participants for Child Protection, Sexual Exploitation and Abuse and Harassment, and Code of Conduct policies
- With Regional HR Manager ensure that all HR personnel practices, contracts, taxes, compensation, registrations, residence permits, and departures are in accordance with local laws and RI policies.
- Ensure that individual staff performance and job satisfaction are maximized through efficient support structures and procedures within the country legal framework and RI policies and guidelines
- Supervise the Regional Finance Manager (RFM) and ensure, through close collaboration and follow-up, that all elements of the RFM’s ToR are fully met.
- Maintain a regional budget and plan for coverage of all regional costs by regional grants, as well as proper cost allocation of costs between grants. Ensure that all costs are allowable by donor regulations
- Develop regional annual and ongoing budget projections, targets, and needs, and identify potential budget needs from G&A in coordination with SVP Program
- Through RFM and CDs verify on-time reporting and uploading of all financial data to RI accounting system by finance staff
- Through periodic checks, and coordination with RFM, verify project finances are properly coded and that BVAs are appropriately examined and analyzed by RPO and CDs
- On an ongoing basis ensure that project expenditures are in line with implementation plans so that early detection of under or over expenditure is appropriately addressed and projects end on-budget
- Examine and verify all key expenditures and procurements for which RD signature is required and ensure all steps in processes have been followed.
- Ensure donor receivables are actively identified, explained, communicated to GSO, and addressed effectively with donors, including any outstanding obstacles or issues on RI’s part.
- With RFM ensure the timely preparation and accuracy of project financial reports that are of highest quality and submitted on time to RI Regional Office, RI Global Support, and donors
- Ensure overall audit compliance, financial transparency through supervision and direction of financial and administrative staff.
Safety and Security
- Ensure the formulation of and participate in the coordination of the regional security team, in close coordination with the Global Security Director
- Support and enforce CDs overall responsibility for the safety and security of all RI personnel
- In collaboration with the Global Security Director (GSD), ensure the appointment of a qualified staff member as Country Security Focal Point by the CD, with CD having overall responsibility
- Support and reinforce CDs and security staff in instilling complete buy-in by all staff of safety-oriented planning and behaviour
- Support CD and GSD in ensuring that all country staff are familiar with, and trained in, RI Security Policy and in particular the country-level security plans and procedures
- Ensure the development and bi-annual update of RI country security plan, and ensure the timely completion of updated country security assessments.
- Support or lead appropriate actions and decisions in high risk insecurity situations, including but not limited to the activation of emergency evacuation plans, in coordination with RI security staff.
Communications and External Representation
- Maintain an appropriate image of RI to all external entities and protect RI’s interests and assets
- Conduct effective ongoing liaison with donors, partners and other stakeholders
- Represent RI by active participation in meetings of the humanitarian and development community, especially at the regional or global levels
- Facilitate visits by donors, RSO and GSO staff, Board members and others, as requested
- Serve as a link, along with relevant country staff, between RI and project counterparts and partners
Global and Regional Strategic Leadership
- As member of RI’s Global Leadership Team, provide input and guidance on establishing, operationalizing, and assessing RI global strategies, approaches and policies – through consultation, observation, insight, and knowledge, serve as a key representative and “voice from the field” in guiding key decisions.
- Provide strategic, technical, and operational input in developing and sustaining RI Centers of Excellence
- Provide leadership in translating, accommodating, and fine-tuning RI’s global strategies, approaches, and policies to the specific regional context for effective implementation
- Lead the collaborative development of regional program strategies that align with global RI strategies
- Facilitate and ensure the development of medium and long-range country strategies that align with the regional and global strategies
- Supervise all CDs and regional staff
- Create a cohesive and mutually supportive regional team between countries and among regional and country staff
- Work with CDs collectively across the region to identify regional/country lessons-learned, solutions, effective practices.
- Work collectively with the other RDs and the SVP/Programs to identify regional/global issues or initiatives, for dissemination, and/or decision by the SMT and CEO in improving overall RI’s impact and effectiveness.
- Leadership in identifying and utilizing regional technical resources, skills, and capacities across countries and regions.
- Work directly with GSO VPs and others in providing regional problem-solving and improving systems
- In collaboration with GSO colleagues, provide the regional framework for exploring/discussing entry into new countries, as and when appropriate.
Program Planning, Development, and Resource Acquisition
- Work collaboratively with the Regional Program Development Manager (RPDM) to support and enhance Country Director leadership in developing medium and long-range strategic funding plans while maintaining focus in RI’s core sectors, strengths, and program objectives.
- In collaboration with RPDMs and CDs, pro-actively ensure effective ongoing communications and networking with donors that produces actionable and timely business intelligence
- In collaboration with RPDMs and CDs, and PD Director provide input in assessing funding opportunities and determining go/no go decisions.
- Provide key leadership in the outcome of go/no-go decisions, in collaboration with CDs, RPDM, VP-PD
- In collaboration with RPDMs and CDs, and PD Director, ensure that the preparation of funding proposals is of the highest quality and closely responsive to donor requirements.
- As needed, personally draft entire, or substantial parts of funding proposals and budgets
- Track regional, sectorial, and donor funding trends to understand specific donor priorities and resources.
- Cultivate relationships with new donors based on RI’s demonstrated management capacity and thought leadership in key sectors and approaches.
- Facilitate assessment of other organizations to map geographic or sector gaps and competitors.
- In close collaboration with country and GSO management, participate in negotiation of contracts and agreements with donors, ensuring both programmatic and financial relevance
- Identify, and where appropriate, initiate and/or support strategic and program partnerships with external international or local agencies or institutions and ensure they are maintained appropriately.
- In coordination with the Global Emergency Director support any emergency or disaster response within the region, including re-allocation of regional staff and assets as appropriate.
- Oversee program implementation and reporting, ensuring compliance with RI policies and procedures, donor regulations and local laws
- Support fact-finding and internal investigations as requested by Senior Management
- Ensure that programs have appropriate legal representation and GSO is informed of all legal cases
- Support all internal and external audits
- Oversee the preparation of annual work plans and budgets
- Ensure CDs report and update situations and project developments affecting compliance and risk
- Create and maintain an environment that prevents sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA) of project participants, by clearly defining the standards of behavior expected of RI staff, as described in the organizations Code of Conduct; Ensure that mechanisms supporting these standards and principles are promoted, disseminated, and integrated into personnel requirements
- Ensure the existence, training on, and proper understanding of, a reporting system to report misconduct, conflict of interest and ethics issues and to address suspected abuses, and irregularities regarding staff, property or practices at the country and regional level
- Ensure all donor/supporter contractual terms and conditions are fulfilled in line with RI’s project funding management guidance and procedures.
- Supervise the regional operations functions and associated staff, and coordinate with the VP-Operations to ensure, through close collaboration and follow-up, that all elements of operations needs are fully met.
- Ensure support to country offices is provided with the aim of strengthening overall efficiency and accountability of each office’s operations, while leveraging resources and materials across the region
- Ensure that operations in support of projects, in particular procurement and logistics, are efficiently and effectively carried out with all procedures being fully followed.
- Ensure that country teams have received adequate training in RI systems, policies and procedures and assist in identification and introduction of improvements in these.
- Ensure close coordination with GCU for review and finalization of contracts, MOUs, partnerships, agreements, and other grants issues
- Ensure support is provided to RI country programs in maintaining asset and inventory databases and management protocols, stock management and warehousing, transportation and/or disposal, and in managing audits of assets
Skills, Experience, Knowledge:
- Demonstrated belief in RI’s core values
- Ten years experience in relevant management positions in development or humanitarian organizations with focus on Africa.
- Proven ability to set strategic direction, manage high performing teams and lead change processes
- Adequate mixture of field and HQ experience.
- Practical experience of applying development issues at a project or community level coupled with impact assessment and evaluation of poverty reduction and social change.
- Substantial experience in the financial management of budgets, including preparing financial projections, general financial management and reporting.
- Proven expertise of leading in fundraising, seeking and securing new donors,
- Demonstrated success at proposal writing as well as management of large and complex grants;
- Evidence of understanding the challenges of donor and grant/contract management and the implications for program management
- Demonstrated team leadership experience, particularly multi-cultural teams.
- Experience of working effectively as a team member with colleagues based outside the country.
- Sufficient computer comfort level to learn new relevant software tools.
- Proficient English language writing and verbal skills. Ability to communicate in French or Arabic is a plus.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence.
We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
How to apply:
Please submit a resume, cover letter and three supervisory references (with contact information) to