Research Assistant Job at International Livestock Research Institute
International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Research Assistant on behalf of International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) to assist research activities for the tissue culture and transformation of Enset under supervision.
ILRI hosts the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) in Nairobi. IITA (www.iita.org) with its headquarters in Ibadan, Nigeria, works with partners throughout Africa and beyond to reduce producer and consumer risks, enhance crop quality and productivity, and generate wealth from agriculture.
Research Assistant Job Responsibilities
- Routine work on Plant Tissue culture and Genetic transformation
- Media preparation
- Micro propagation and maintenance of various cultivars of Enset
- Developing regeneration systems for Ensete ventricosum
- Assist in establishing a cell suspension system for Ensete ventricosum
- Assist in developing Agrobacterium-mediated transformation system for Ensete ventricosum
- Assist in generating and analyzing transgenic lines.
- Assist in molecular and glasshouse analysis of transgenic plants.
- Weaning and potting of Enset plants
- Record keeping.
- Any other duties assigned.
Requirements for Research Assistant Job
- Degree in Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Plant Science or relevant field;
- Experience in Plant tissue culture and genetic transformation will be an asset;
- Able to cope with heavy intermittent workloads extending beyond office hours and during weekends;
- Very good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Computer literacy
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position based at ILRI’s Nairobi campus. It is open to Kenyan nationals only. The position is for a fixed term period up to 31 December, 2017.
Job level and salary: This position is job level 2A, ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances for ILRI’s Nationally Recruited Staff.
How to Apply
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV explaining their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal here on or before 2 September 2016. The position title and reference number RA/IITA /08/16 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the online application.