The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Research Assistant to provide laboratory technical support for a Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) funded project on whole genome sequencing of African swine fever.
Responsibilities for the Research Assistant Job
- Preparation of pig samples and panels for serological and molecular diagnosis
- Virus isolation and quantification
- Virus DNA amplification using in vitro culture methods
- DNA extraction, PCR amplification and sequencing
- Analysis of sequence data
- Manage the project’s biological repository
- Record keeping and reporting
- Assist in Capacity building
Requirements for the Research Assistant Job
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Animal Science or relevant field
- At least two years working experience in a laboratory environment
- Experience in laboratory aseptic techniques, culture media preparation, tissue and virus culture, serological and molecular diagnostic techniques and molecular biology techniques
- Experience working with DNA viruses will be an added advantage
- Very good interpersonal and communication skills
- Computer literacy
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position based at ILRI’s Nairobi campus for a 2 year term with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and continued funding.
This position is at job level 2B and open to Kenyan nationals only. ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances for ILRI’s Nationally Recruited Staff.
How to Apply
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV explaining their interest in the position,, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 13 November 2016. The position title and reference number REF: RA/BecA/10/2016 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.