IPA seeks qualified applicants for the position of Research Associate for an evaluation of a behavioral intervention geared towards increasing self-efficacy among the poor.
About the Project: Development assistance tends to focus on the ‘external’ constraints that poor people face, while largely ignoring ‘internal’ ones. However, social psychology suggests that poor people’s sense of self-efficacy and control may be beaten down by the nature of living in poverty, limiting the options they consider.
The project aims to do a randomized controlled trial to examine the combined effect of lifting external and internal constraints simultaneously, providing a cash transfer and an intervention to boost poor people’s sense of self-efficacy and alter their understanding of their opportunities, encouraging poor people to set and pursue their own goals without directing their choices.
The research will test if a brief, standardized psychological intervention can alter psychological outcomes and future-oriented behaviors in a developing country and examine if such interventions can enhance the already-known benefits of cash transfers.
• Manage multiple project data collection activities, including baseline, midline, and endline surveys of households
• Manage implementation of a large scale behavioral intervention.
• Develop and pilot survey instruments
• Design forms for electronic data collection (using SurveyCTO) and manage survey data
• Train and manage teams to conduct surveys
• Ensure all aspects of data quality and assist with data cleaning and preliminary analysis
• Manage logistics for new pilot activities
• Manage project budget, including tracking project expenses and adherence to the project budget
• Work closely with principal investigators and the local partners to ensure study protocols are followed
• Assist with donor reporting and proposal writing
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers
• Excellent computer proficiency (MS Office – Word, Excel and Outlook)
• Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary customer service
• Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices
• Basic Stata skills preferred
• Luo speakers preferred
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. Please select the position(s) you are interested in applying for on the ‘Submit Application’ page. Statement of purpose (cover letter), CV and reference. We will consider your application even if you are unable to obtain reference letters before the deadline, but please be advised that we will be requiring them should you be invited for an interview.Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class.
IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at [email protected]erty-action.org or via phone at 1-203-772-2216.
IPA will never require monetary compensation as part of its application process. Any requests for monetary compensation by persons claiming to be IPA employees or persons claiming to represent IPA should be disregarded and reported to IPA.