The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Research Associate to contribute to the Regional Strategic Analysis and Knowledge Support System (ReSAKSS) agenda in supporting the implementation of the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP) in the ECA region.
Specifically s/he will undertake empirical analyses and develop knowledge products to inform policymaking in the ECA region and track progress, document success, and derive lessons for the implementation of the CAADP agenda and other agricultural, rural development policies and programs in Africa.
Research Associate Job Key Responsibilities
- Contribute to ReSAKSS’ analytical work based on regional priorities in agriculture and rural development. Areas of research will include regional trade analysis, food security research, agricultural investment analysis, agricultural investment modelling, modelling economic contribution of livestock and other related areas
- Synthesis of studies and literature around topical issues affecting agriculture and rural development in the region to generate policy relevant messages
- Participate in the communication of ReSAKSS’ work, through preparation of ReSAKSS publications such as: working papers, policy briefs, technical reports, journal publications, conference papers, posters, brochures and presentations at policy conferences
- Contribute to the capacity building component of ReSAKSS including organizing and implementing policy relevant training for ReSAKSS’ partners and other stakeholders
- Contribute to the Monitoring and Evaluation of the CAADP indicators in the COMESA region especially tracking changes in volume and value of intra-regional trade in staple commodities in the COMESA region Contributing to the organization of conferences, seminars, and workshops organized or co-organized by ReSAKSS
Requirements for Research Associate Job
- A Master’s degree in Agricultural Economics, Economics or other related field with application to Agriculture and Development;
- Minimum 3 years relevant post Masters’ work experience;
- Competence and experience in econometric and other forms of quantitative analysis, demonstrated in appropriate written outputs such as journal articles, conference papers, working papers;
- Applied knowledge of quantitative analytical methods ; proven experience in database management and analysis of large datasets to answer analytical questions;
- Experience in conducting literature searches and writing professional papers; working in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams in a developing country setting;
- Knowledge and experience in agricultural and rural development issues in eastern and central Africa
- Proficiency in using Ms Office and statistical packages such as STATA, R, SPSS;
- Demonstrated ability to draft high-quality analytical and policy documents and related correspondence;
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize a large body of knowledge into simple, easy to understand papers and policy briefs;
- Demonstrated good organizational skills and ability to work with a minimum of supervision;
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain professional contacts, and to interact with national officials and experts, other researchers, international organizations, development partners, and other stakeholders;
- A willingness to travel frequently within and outside the COMESA region and knowledge of French language is as an added advantage;
Terms of Appointment
- This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position based at ILRI’s Nairobi campus. It is open to Kenyan Nationals only. The position is on a 3-year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding.
- This position is job level 2D, ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances for ILRI’s Nationally Recruited Staff.
How to Apply
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV explaining their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal here on or before 3 June 2016. The position title and reference number REF: RA/PTVC/5/2016 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.