Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA)
Research Associate, Nuru Energy (Rwanda)
- Location: Kigali, Rwanda
- Deadline to apply: June 3, applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis
- Length of Commitment: 1 year
- Desired start date: ASAP
- Reports to: Research Manager or Country Director
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA designs, rigorously evaluates, and refines these solutions and their applications together with decision-makers to ensure that the evidence created is used to improve opportunities for the world’s poor. Since our founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 350 leading academics to conduct over 450 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
The project will evaluate the impact of a low-cost household lighting product provided by a private sector partner. The project will look the impact of the product and business model on 1) village-level entrepreneurs who will recharge the lights and 2) households/customers who will receive lights. Moreover, we will examine the most effective business models to lead to high usage of the lights.
The Research Associate will act as the lead project manager and will oversee all aspects of the research study, including timeline, partner relationships, contract staff, and researcher relationships. Successful candidate will be detail-oriented and enthusiastic about managing field research projects. The Research Associate will work closely with academic researchers, partners, and other field staff to perform a variety tasks which may include but not be limited to: overseeing other project staff, coordinating the research collaboration between investigators and partners, designing survey questionnaires, running pilot exercises, refining the study design and surveying instruments, managing survey teams, checking and analyzing data, cleaning data and assisting in preliminary analysis, assisting in the writing of project reports and policy memos, coordinating with local officials implementing the programs being evaluated, and supporting outreach to policymakers in country.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in economics, social sciences, public policy, statistics or related fields
- Experience conducting social science or economic field research. Background in randomized control trials is strongly preferred
- Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative skills
- Flexibility, self-motivation, the ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently as a team player
- Experience supervising data collection and teams of field workers, designing surveys and implementing programs strongly preferred
- Experience with data management and econometrics. Strong quantitative skills and advanced knowledge of Stata strongly preferred
- Experience with electronic data collection platforms. Knowledge of Survey CTO a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations. Experience working with government officials, especially in Rwanda is also a plus.
- Ability to manage a culturally diverse team
- Strong written and oral communication skills and complete fluency in English is required
How to Apply:
Complete the webform and submit your resume and cover letter at the following link: http://sgiz.mobi/s3/IPA-Rwanda-Application-for-Research-Associate-Educate.
Emailed applications will not be reviewed; all applications must be submitted via the webform.