Research & Development Manager Job in Kenya
Reporting to: Chairman and Sales & Marketing Director
Research & Development Job Responsibilities
- Manage, communicate and reinforce organizational and departmental initiatives to the R&D department to ensure a consistent message and targeted objectives are achieved.
- Develops and executes R&D project timelines and deliverables.
- Creates new prototypes for R&D initiatives, including formulation, raw material sourcing, packaging development and costing.
- Designs and executes experiments to meet project objectives.
- Work with customers to deliver new products that meet customer needs in a cost-effective manner and with formulations that can be processed in the existing operation.
- Establish and leverage contacts and connections with existing and potential new customers in the food sectors for commercialization of new products.
- Monitors marketplace for new trends, products, and/or flavors and competitor products and development activities.
- Plans, coordinates and executes production tests to successfully meet project objectives.
- Accurately records, analyzes and reports data to meet project objectives.
- Packaging development.
- Develops product specifications and parameters for all new products (SOPs, HACCP plans, risk analysis and costings).
- Coordinates 3rd party laboratory testing and reports results.
- Conducts and analyses internal and external sensory evaluations.
- Manages R&D and sensory evaluation workspaces and R&D sample area.
- Contributes to development and management of R&D budget.
- Generates all finished product nutritional panel information and ingredient statements.
- Adheres to GMP’s, Standard Operating Procedures, and Safety Regulations consistently.
- Ensure compliance with plant safety standards and with applicable regulatory requirements while following the company’s Good Manufacturing Processes.
Qualifications for the Research & Development Job
- BSc or MSc degree in Food Science, Food Technology or related field required.
- Minimum 5 years’ related work experience in product and packaging development
- Expertise in product development and new product innovation, with extensive Product Development/Food Science discipline
- Excellent knowledge of HACCP, ISO 22000 and its application in food industry
- Knowledge of KEBS, US FDA and UK FSA regulations for the development of product labels.
- Strong passion for food and the drive to develop this passion throughout the organization
- Customer focused expertise in the snacks and spices industry
- Knowledge of western and ethnic snack foods and spices and the application of spices in cooking essential
- Strong sensory evaluation and analysis skills
- Prior experience in facilitation of group training desired
- Strategic decision-making approach to business interests
- High collaboration and project management skills
- Strong judgement and decision making skills
- Highly organized with a strong focus on detail and accuracy with the ability to thrive in a complex, high demand, evolving environment, requiring quick responsiveness; must be able to handle multiple priorities while maintaining focus on the bottom line
- Must demonstrate a high degree of written and verbal skills and have excellent organization and presentation skills
- Work effectively as an individual with minimal supervision or as a team member as required
- Must possess a workable knowledge of MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel
How to Apply
To apply, please send in your CV to [email protected], with “Research & Development Manager” on the subject line.