Reporting to:Executive Director
Kenya Red Cross Society is one of the largest humanitarian organisations in Kenya. Its vision is to be the most effective, most trusted and self-sustaining humanitarian organization in Kenya, serving present and future generations. The International Center for Humanitarian Affairs (ICHA) was established by the Kenya Red Cross Society to create an autonomous platform for knowledge management, capacity building and to influence policy on humanitarian issues in Kenya and within the African region.
The Center is geared towards establishing a collaborative enterprise between humanitarian agencies, governments, academic institutions and donors to support capacity building, evidence based policy and practice in order to increase effectiveness of humanitarian initiatives. The Centre is looking for a qualified person to fill the Research Manager position.
The Research Manager will oversee the day-to-day development and management of agreed research projects & programmes and provide oversight and information to the Executive Director of ICHA. Working closely with the Executive Director and the Kenya Red Cross Society (KRCS) Head of Policy, as well as programme and support staff throughout KRCS, the Research Manager will also ensure the smooth management of work plans, budgets and relationships. S/he will support business development and ensure the delivery of high quality research programmes. S/he will support the Executive Director in developing methods and strategies to ensure that programme/project activities achieve goals and agreed outputs.
The Research Manager will be expected to contribute substantively on research issues, work to produce briefing papers and other learning outputs in relation to humanitarian issues. S/he will represent the organisation externally where required.
Research Manager Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure delivery of agreed annual plans
- Management of specific research programmes, initially this will be a predominant focus on a major research project, with programme and policy influencing components, which will examine resilience and early response in the Arid and Semi-Arid Lands
- Facilitate information sharing and problem solving to improve the effectiveness of programmes
- Develop and ensure on-going strengthening of the programme management and administrative systems.
- Assist in the process of developing work plans of research and tracking progress in order to ensure that targets are achieved and deliverables are produced on time and to standard in order to achieve the programme outcomes.
- Provide support and advice on the planning and financial management of research projects
- Liaise with HR and logistics regarding recruitment, staffing issues and consultancy contracts
- Contribute to coordination and ensure that steering and advisory committee meetings take place, minutes are documented and actions disseminated.
- Input into strengthening partnerships and maintain effective productive working relationships with donor and research partners.
- Develop budgets for new programmes and projects
- Work closely with finance colleagues to ensure budgets are accurately established and financial reports generated on a monthly basis.
- Be responsible for regularly reviewing financial information and ensuring that all expenditure is in line with agreed budgets and contracts.
- Reporting on budget v actuals and documenting any significant variances.
- Confirm any significant changes to plans and budgets with the Executive Director and seek donor approval as needed.
- Ensure accurate financial reports are generated for internal use and for donors and ensure that accurate reports are submitted according to agreed schedules.
- Provide technical inputs to on-going research projects including literature reviews, interviews, data analysis and preparation of reports
- Support project activities or lead parts of research projects including field work, holding workshops, producing written outputs, reviewing and providing feedback on consultancy reports
- Be responsible for writing or co-writing research reports, policy briefs and other documents for publication
- Liaise with donors and partners on programme funding and opportunities for collaboration
- Lead and support, as agreed with the Executive Director, the development of research proposals, expressions of interest and project proposals
- Prepare high quality and timely reports, ensuring internal peer review (as appropriate) ahead of submission to donors
- Supporting work led by Executive Director, ICHA and Head of Policy.
- Representing the Centre in internal and external forums
Qualifications for the Research Manager Job
- Masters’ degree in a relevant discipline
- Experience of donor narrative and financial reporting
- Knowledge and experience of coordinating proposals, reports and donors and knowledge management
- An understanding of the Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross
- At least 5 years in a programme management role
- Substantial experience of project development and administration
- Experience of donor relationship management, including donor narrative and financial reporting
- Substantial experience of managing staff to tight deadlines in a team environment
- Experience of managing research projects
- Experience of different research methodologies, both quantitative and qualitative
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian issues
- Experience of SharePoint document management systems (preferred)
- Substantial experience of writing high quality reports and consistently delivering to agreed deadlines
- Advanced IT skills including excel, word, outlook, PowerPoint and databases
- Strong oral and verbal communication and presentation skills in both English and Kiswahili
- Ability to write well and to prepare reports with minimum supervision
- Multi-tasking skills
- Ability to solve problems
- Excellent planning and execution skills
- Ability to work to own initiative or as part of a team
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications should send their applications by email to [email protected]. to be received on or before 31st October 2016.
Applications should comprise
- A one page cover letter explaining how your experience makes you a suitable candidate for the job
- A CV of no more than 3 pages
- Details of 3 references – including current employer
No additional documents should be submitted.Note: applications which do not follow the above requirements will not be considered.