• Reports to: Country Director
• Location: Kigali, Rwanda
• Deadline of applications: September 25, 201
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA designs, rigorously evaluates, and refines these solutions and their applications together with decision-makers to ensure that the evidence created is used to improve opportunities for the world’s poor. Since our founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 350 leading academics to conduct over 450 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
The Research Manager will manage a portfolio of three to five research projects, each of which is staffed with a team of 1 to 3 permanent staff. As part of their supervisory role, the Research Manager will work closely with the various country office teams to ensure that effective support is given to projects and that projects are aligned with IPA Rwanda practices. The Research Manager will also participate in IPA Rwanda Senior Management discussions and contribute to the development of new projects, policy outreach, and capacity building.
The Research Manager will:
• Ensure project adherence to general research design, sample selection, data management and general research protocols, and overall project management timelines
• Directly supervise project research staff, and help with transitions, on-boarding of new research staff and maintaining institutional memory of project activities
• Keep the Country Director apprised of all developments on the projects within their portfolio, and serve as a key link between the field office, project staff, and Principle Investigators
• Lead training on data management and general project management for new/incoming project research staff;
• Provide technical skills support and train research staff on statistical software and survey programming including but not limited to STATA, Survey CTO, and Boxcryptor
• Promote inter-project best practices and take a lead in sharing best practices with projects through formal and informal trainings
• Be the point of contact for data management and analysis support for project staff by serving as the link between projects and IPA headquarters
• Work with field office staff to ensure sound human resource and operational management of projects
• Oversee project financial management, including creation and monitoring of project budgets, and ensuring smooth integration of projects into IPA financial systems
• Attend regular meetings with local government officials and other partners to ensure success of programmatic activities
• Support the dissemination of results via presentations and reports to academic and non-academic audiences
• Assist the Country Director in developing the research designs for new studies in cooperation with principal investigators and partner organizations
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
• Masters in development economics, or a field related to international economic development or education
• At least three years of project management experience
• Extensive experience conducting social science or economic field research; experience in conducting field research in developing countries required. Background in randomized control trials is strongly preferred
• Extensive experience supervising data collection and teams of field workers, designing surveys and implementing programs
• Experience with data management and econometrics. Strong quantitative skills and advanced knowledge of Stata required
• Experience with electronic data collection platforms. Advanced knowledge of Survey CTO strongly preferred
• Cultural sensitivity and demonstrated ability to work successfully with diverse constituencies required
• Strong quantitative, budgeting and financial management skills required
• Experience with presenting research findings at public forums, including to non-research focused audiences
• Strong written and oral communication skills and complete fluency in English is required
• Flexible and proactive work ethic with a demonstrated interest in the vision and mission of Innovations for Poverty Action
Please email your Resume and Cover letter to [email protected] following these instructions exactly:1) In the subject line copy exactly the following position line: 100750RMRwanda, Research Manager, Rwanda, 2) Please attach ONLY your cover letter and resume, 3) In the email body: Put your full name, first name followed by other name. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
IPA will never require monetary compensation as part of its application process. Any requests for monetary compensation by persons claiming to be IPA employees or persons claiming to represent IPA should be disregarded and reported to IPA.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the Research Manager. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to [email protected]
For more information, download the attached document .