The Media Council of Kenya is an independent national institution established by the Media Council Act 2013 for purposes of setting of media standards and ensuring compliance with those standards as set out in Article 34(5) of the Constitution and for connected purposes. The Council started as a self-regulating body in 2004 to regulate media industry in Kenya but transited through the Media Act 2007 and adopted co-regulation media regulation approach, where board members and the Secretariat while receiving government funds to support some of its activities, remain very independent in their operations and are not subject to any form of control.
To supervise the media monitoring unit of the Council in a manner that develops, maintains and continually improves the Council’s image and reputation to stakeholders and partners.
Responsibilities for the Research & Media Monitoring Job
- Formulate the media monitoring programme for the Council and oversee its implementation
- Supervise and train media monitors and interns and guide them to ensure strict adherence to the media monitoring principles.
- Design and implement qualitative and quantitative monitoring tools for the assessment of the performance of Kenyan media
- Generate reliable and timely monitoring reports and data for the Media Resource Centre
- Coordinate the writing and production of the annual State of the Media Report.
- Work closely with the Programmes Manager in the maintenance of an efficient and effective monitoring unit
- Schedule monitoring activities and assignments in a manner that ensures adequate control and cost effectiveness in the use of materials and facilities.
Qualifications for the Research & Media Monitoring Job
- Relevant Master´s Degree from an accredited institution in Communications, Journalism;
- Degree in journalism/communication from a recognised institution, or any other relevant field with verifiable work experience in media monitoring and research;
- Post graduate qualification in project management.
- Good research skills preferably in analysis of media text/content analysis (qualitative and quantitative)
- Skills and experience in ICT based applications; advanced proficiency in SPSS and Microsoft Excel
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Report writing and public presentation skills.
- Conversant with the current media performance trends and professional issues related to ethical principles in journalism.
How to Apply
Applicants meeting above qualifications should send their applications giving full details of their age, qualifications, experience, present and expected remuneration, full contact address including daytime telephone number, detailed C.V., copies of certificates and testimonials and contact details of three referees.
Applications should indicate position applied for including the reference number and addressed to:
The Chief Executive Officer Media Council of Kenya P.O. Box 43132 00100 NAIROBI
Applications can also be sent via Email: [email protected] . Or hand deliver applications to: Media Council of Kenya, Ground Floor, British American Insurance Co. Centre at Mara/Ragati Road Junction in Upper Hill.
So as to reach not later than 25th April 2017