Reference Number: RO-HE-10017-03
OVERALL JOB PURPOSE:</strong>To assist the principal investigator to oversee the design and implementation of a study who aim to examine the extent to which recent health financing reform policies are adhered to. Specifically, the study will entail a household and facility based survey to examine the implementation of free maternity, user fee removal and NHIF benefit package reform policies. This study will have a qualitative and quantitative component. The position requires competency in quantitative research methods, experience in research, and some knowledge of health systems would be useful.
REPORTS TO: Principal Investigator
The primary responsibility will be to assist in the implementation and write up of a research project entitled “Examining the implementation of health financing reforms in Kenya”.
The research will be carried out in nationally representative sample of healthcare providers in Kenya
For the Health Economics Research Unit (HERU) to:
- Finalize the development of a sub-proposal on examining the implementation fidelity of health financing reforms in Kenya and submit the proposal to the proposal for ethics and scientific review
- Conduct a review of relevant international literature on a range of health financing reforms
- Develop qualitative and quantitative data collection tools
- Oversee the data collection for qualitative and quantitative data
- Supervise Assistant Research Officers and Field workers during the period of data collection
- Analyze qualitative and quantitative data
- Prepare and submit research papers for publication as required.
- And any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- A Master’s degree in a quantitative field (economics, health economics, statistics, epidemiology)
- A Bachelor’s degree in a social science, a quantitative field (e.g. Economics, Statistics, mathematics) or a health related subject (e.g. Pharmacy, Medicine, Nursing)
- At least 3 years of research experience
- Advanced skills in statistical analysis using STATA. R or other relevant software
- Experience in overseeing data collection
- Computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft applications.
- Experience in qualitative research methods
- Applicants should have interest and ideally experience in health systems the Kenyan health sector
- Excellent organisational and communication skills
- Good writing skills
- Good presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills a meticulous approach to documentation (including word processing and spreadsheet skills)
- Team working and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to work with limited supervision and meet deadlines