Reference Number: RO-HSRE-260417
Category: Research, Science and Biotechnology
JOB PURPOSE:To provide substantive support and leadership for health policy and systems research within an international collaborative aimed at examining and building health system resilience through focusing on mid-level manager leadership practices, organisational relationships and their underpinning values. The post will involve developing qualitative and quantitative study methods; supervising and supporting a small research team to collect data; taking primary responsibility for the management and analysis of data; and developing written and visual research outputs. The post holder will have responsibility for capacity strengthening for an ARO and students in this project and contribute to wider social science and health systems research and capacity strengthening activities within the KWTRP and related research networks.
Assistant research officer, research interns as assigned by Principal Investigator
Senior Field Workers
BUDGET AND RESOURCE RESPONSIBILITY:
- Responsible for a laptop computer and one or more digital voice recorders
- Petty cash budgets up to approximately kes 50,000 (for fieldwork and meeting organisation.)
- To contribute to the development of research proposals as needed, including through reviewing literature and synthesising learning from reviews.
- To take primary responsibility for research data collection, including supporting the development of methods and draft data collection tools, planning for field work, supervising data collection team members and ensuring that all interactions with study participants and their families are managed in ways that positively support ethical conduct and the collection of high quality data.
- To contribute substantively to analysis of data from the study, and take primary responsibility for analysis in designated areas.
- To support dissemination of study findings, including through the preparation of drafts of reports and manuscripts for publication; making presentations at scientific meetings; and supporting feedback to study participants.
- To actively contribute to developing their own capacity in social science, health systems research and related research methods, particularly for qualitative research. This includes engaging with a wide literature on health policy/systems and social science methods, active participation in trainings provided and focused efforts to continuously seek and act on feedback on performance.
- Where indicated, provide training and support to other research team members / collaborating partners in areas within these responsibilities.
- To attend departmental and programme scientific meetings, including regular meetings of the Centre Scientific Coordinating Committee meetings, the Consent and Communication Committee meeting and the Social Science Group.
- And any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- An MA or MSc in a relevant subject such as Health systems/management, Public Health or Social Science (related to health)
- A BSc/BA in a relevant subject such as Public Health or Social Science (related to health), Nursing, Medicine or equivalent
- At least 3 years of experience as a research officer or equivalent, including experience in collecting and analysing qualitative research data
- Computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft applications
- A keen interest in health policy and health systems
- Good planning, management, organisation and co-ordination skills
- Good analytical and follow through ability
- Expertise in qualitative research methods (data collection and analysis)
- Specific health policy and systems research training is strongly preferred, but attendance of short courses to build knowledge can be offered
- Very high levels of fluency in written and spoken English and Kiswahili
- Ability to give and follow instructions effectively, use own initiative, keen to learn and proactive with the ability to work under minimal supervision
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Flexibility, adaptability, multi-tasking and attention to detail
- Conscientiousness, timeliness and willingness to work to meet deadlines
- Confidentiality and integrity
- Team working and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment