Research Officer Jobs at ILRI
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Research Associate to conduct field research on the strategies of development actors supporting community-based natural resources management and on institutions and governance in rangeland settings.
Responsibilities for the Research Officer Job
- To liaise with community organizations to establish partnerships and identify research sites and case studies
- To conduct social science field research on varied approaches to supporting and strengthening institutions and governance for community rangeland management. This will involve:
- Engaging with leadership of community range management organizations community members, and staff of NGOs and government agencies
- Conducting focus groups and interviews
- Reviewing documentation
- To carry out qualitative analysis of field research and secondary sources. This will involve:
Identification of common themes, categorization and analysis of different dimensions of governance in range management cases
- Comparative analysis and synthesis across cases
- Assisting with project logistics related to fieldwork and other activities as necessary
- Contributing to papers for academic journals
- Assisting with any other communication of research results to partners and communities
Requirements for the Research Associate Job
- Master’s degree in a discipline such as Natural Resources Management, Environmental Studies, International
- Development Studies, Political Science, Rural Development or similar discipline
- At least two years post-Masters experience
- Experience working in, and demonstrated knowledge of, pastoralist/rangeland settings
- Experience with qualitative and participatory approaches to research and analysis
- Experience working on natural resource governance and management issues in rangeland settings
- Demonstrated experience in working with agricultural development projects or programs
- Fluent in English and Ki-Swahili
- Fluency in Maa and/or any northern-Kenyan languages would be an asset
Excellent English language writing skills
Terms of Appointment
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position based at ILRI’s Nairobi campus. It is open to Kenyan nationals only. This is a fixed term position for 10 Months.
This position is job level 2D, ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances for ILRI’s Nationally Recruited Staff.
How to Apply
Applicants should send a CV, a sample of past academic writing such as thesis chapter or published journal article, and a cover letter explaining their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development by clicking here. Deadline 2 November 2016. The position title and reference number REF: RA/IS/10/2016 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.