The Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) is a state Corporation established in Kenya in 1979 through the Science and Technology (Repealed) Act, Cap 250 of the laws of Kenya and as currently established and dully accredited to continue to operate as such, under the Science Technology and Innovation Act, 2013 as the national body responsible for carrying out research in health in Kenya.
USAMRD-K Department of Infectious Diseases (DEID) is a strategic KEMRI partner affiliated with the US Armed Forces Health Surveillance Branch’s Global Emerging Infectious Surveillance and Response System (GEIS).
DEID conducts surveillance on various infectious diseases including antimicrobial resistant (AMR) bacteria within a network of local hospitals across Kenya.
The AMR project is hospital, field and laboratory based aimed at identifying bacterial pathogens from patients, the environment and in animals and identifying their antimicrobial resistance, virulence and epidemiological characteristics.
KEMRI seeks to recruit dynamic, innovative and experienced persons to fill the following position in the DEID AMR Project.
Position: Research Officer / Project Coordinator – AMR Surveillance Project
This position will be based at the Center for Microbiology, KEMRI in Nairobi.
The position reports to the Principal Research Officer / Principal Investigator (PI).
- Day-to-day management of activities in multiple AMR projects with minimal supervisory input.
- Train, supervise, mentor, motivate and support staff and students (MSc/PhD)
- Coordinate staff work assignments, protocol and SOP training, proficiency and competence testing
- Manage process of data collection, entry, analysis, interpretation and reporting.
- Interpret, report and communicate essential elements of the program
- Manage and track budgets and resources
- Assist with project reports, scientific publications and submission of proposals and grants
- Oversee regulatory compliance issues
- Find positive approaches to problem solving for research, management and personnel issues
- Master’s degree in Microbiology or related field with strong molecular biology and genomic analysis skills and >3 years’ experience in an active research program
- Proficiency in database management and the use of statistical analysis packages such as STATA, SPSS and Access databases
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written with scientific publication record in peer reviewed journals.
Additional skills and competencies
- A mature leadership approach that can promote diversity, continued learning, safety, and productivity in the workplace
- Good organizational skills including time management, scheduling, managing resource and meeting deadlines.
Terms of Employment: One year contract.
Grade: MR 11
Probation period for the first 3 months.
Remuneration: The salary is based on KEMRI salary scale.
For more Information visit our website www.usamrukenya.org
Applications should include a Cover letter, CV, 3 reference letters and relevant testimonials and day time telephone contacts no later than 28th July 2017.
How to Apply
The Human Resources Office The Waiter Reed Project P.O Box 29893-00202
Or email at Nairobi.HR@usamru-k.org
KEMRI/Walter Reed Project is an equal opportunity employer.
Women, the Youth, people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.