Closing date: 17 Nov 2016
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Programme Development and Quality
POST TYPE: National
DURATION: 2 years
The Research Manager will be required to support activities across all research projects implemented by REALM. The research projects to be supported by the Research Manager include needs assessment, formative research, and impact evaluations. S/he will supervise research associates for field works involving enumerator training, supervise data quality and compliance with research design.
Working closely with the Research Fellows for different sectors, the Research Manager will support the day-to-day research activities under the project. He/she will bring a high level of technical competence and experience in order to supervise all field activities focused on data collection and data processing. He/she will be responsible for ensuring adequate planning for fieldwork and commitment to agreed deadlines. In addition, he/she will support data cleaning, tabulation and reporting. The Research Manager will play a central role in keeping monitoring the status of research project, archiving of data and documents, and track finances.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Director of REALM
Dimensions: Save the Children International works in Somalia/Somaliland with a current staff complement of approximately 400 staff and current expenditure of approximately 40$ million in 2015.
Staff directly reporting to this post: 3 and above (Research Associates)
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Supervise Research Associates that the fieldworks of research projects are on time and budget
- Oversee all field activities and data quality
- Conduct training of Research Associates and enumerators for specific projects
- Encourage a culture of professional excellence in field research teams, and adequately communicate and respond to capacity building requirements.
- Manage staff in challenging environments and ensure balance between safety of personnel and quality of data.
- Anticipate, identify and resolve all problems related to field implementation in a timely fashion by ensuring adequate contingency planning and, where relevant, escalating problems to the project management.
- Oversee all data collection, and ensure adherence to the standard dimensions of data quality and ethical standards.
- Collect ethical clearances from relevant Ministries or institutions for research projects
- Oversee compliance of data collection and project activities with research design
- Oversee data cleaning and processing, including entry to a standard software package.
- Keep documentation of research project status and archiving of data and reports
· Maintain strong working relationship with technical teams of the Somalia/Somaliland Country Office and Save the Children US.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
Problem solving and Decision Making
· Undertakes operations in a complex environment through technical competence, anticipating challenges, and developing appropriate mitigation measures.
· Responds promptly to emerging problems and takes appropriate decisions.
· Explores and analyses data trends, as well as their potential impact on strategic choices.
Developing self and others
- Identifies clear development needs and development plans through regular constructive reviews of their own performance.
- Maintains a close view of staff capacity and performance, and responds adequately to gaps.
- Gives regular positive and constructive feedback to others.
- Creates space for others to learn and provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments when people are ready for them.
- Coaches others to learn from their experiences on the job and to use the resources available to them.
· Ability to explain research ideas and questions to non-researchers and research subjects
· Translate complex ideas into locally understandable terms to generate valid data
- Ability to assess quality of research and evidence
- Think critically about applicability of evidence in programming from programme improvement and feasibility perspective
- Ability to synthesize research from various academic literature
· Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
· Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
· Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
· Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
· Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
· Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
· Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
· Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
· Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· At least Bachelor degree in economics, education, development studies or relevant discipline.
· 3-5 years of experience in similar research-focused positions.
· Knowledge and demonstrated experience of designing and managing research studies.
· Proven experience in research methodologies, including qualitative and quantitative methods.
· Familiar with computer adapted data collection platforms
· Demonstrated ability to think critically, strategically and analyse complex information and offer creative, practical and effective solutions
· Fluency (verbal and written) in English and Somali is essential.
· Commitment to Save the Children International values.
· Able and willing to live and work in harsh environments.
CHILD SAFEGUARING POLICY:
Any employee, consultant, contractor or the supplier undertaking an activity on behalf of SCI must sign the Child Safeguarding – Declaration of Acceptance Form] and comply with the SCIs Child Safeguarding Policy which is a statement of SCI’s commitment to preventing abuse and protecting children with whom it comes into contact.
This extends not only to children with whom SCI and its partners work directly, but also includes children whom staff are responsible for. SCI believes that the situation of children must be improved through the promotion of their rights supported and demonstrated by all members of staff. Save the Children International’s Code of Conduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are required to submit a CV and mandatory cover letter quoting the Job Title and Vacancy Announcement No. SCI/SOM/34/16 on the subject line. The file name of the CV and attachments must be the applicants name and sent to [email protected]. For more information please visit www.somaliangoconsortium.org Applications close on 17TH November 2016 Disclaimer: Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted Female candidates are encouraged to apply