Save the Children Call for Applications
Humanitarian Trainee Scheme – Kenya
March 2016 Intake
Are you passionate about Humanitarian work but have limited experience in the Humanitarian Sector?
Save the Children is glad to invite applications for the Humanitarian Trainee Scheme.
The Humanitarian Trainee Scheme is a one year placement with an NGO that offers a unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience in emergencies and crisis response operations.
This programme combines structured training with coached field deployments which equip individuals to effectively contribute to humanitarian programmes.
About the Scheme: A one year entry level programme targeting individuals especially those from remote areas and with little experience in the humanitarian sector.
The scheme is aimed at people who are resilient, capable and enthusiastic who already have some experience of humanitarian-related work but need more professional experience in order to pursue a long-term humanitarian career.
During your traineeship you are required to pass three modules. These modules include face-to-face classroom learning, simulation training, distance learning and personal reflection as well as intensive academic study and the submission of written assignments in English.
The programme enables participants to develop the behaviour, skills and knowledge required to operate safely and effectively in humanitarian contexts with a particular focus on working as part of a humanitarian team.
- A first degree from a recognized university, in a field relevant to the humanitarian sector.
- Between 6 months and 1 year (maximum) experience as an employee, volunteer or intern in development or humanitarian work.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- A willingness to live and work in a remote field location.
- Demonstrated interest and a commitment to a long-term career in the humanitarian sector.
- Ability to commit oneself for one year to cover the full course; including the distance learning component and capital office and field placements.
- Kenyan nationality.
- Degrees in Logistics & Supply Chain Management, Public Health, Nutrition, Disaster & Risk Management, International Relations, Law, Social Sciences, Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH)/Water Engineering.
Individuals from remote and marginalized areas in Kenya are particularly encouraged to apply.
CLICK HERE to download the information pack