Save the Children
Administrative Assistant – Kenya Country office
Team / Programme: Support Services
Post Type: National
Child Safeguarding: Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
Role Purpose: The HR & Admin assistant is responsible for ensuring the day to day running of Wajir office, organizing for conference booking, accommodation, and travel arrangements for staff. Perform HR functions for within Wajir office.
Staff reporting directly to this post: Cook
Dimensions: Save the Children has been operational in Kenya since the 1950s, providing support to children through developmental and humanitarian relief programmes delivered both directly and through local partners.
Current programming focuses on child protection, child rights governance, education, health, HIV/AIDS, livelihoods, nutrition and WASH.
In 2012, as part of a global reorganization process, Save the Children combined the programmes of SC UK, SC Canada and SC Finland to create a single operation in Kenya.
In Feb 2014, we completed a second transition, which saw us join forces with the British INGO, Merlin, and merge their health and nutrition programmes with our own.
Save the Children now has an operational presence in Bungoma, Dadaab Refugee Camp, Garissa, Mandera, Turkana and Wajir and we work through partners in many other parts of the country.
We employ nearly 300 staff and will have an operating annual budget in 2016 of approximately US$20 million.Key Areas of Accountability:
- Support the HR/Admn Coordinator to plan, and manage in an accountable, efficient and effective way, key services in administration including equipment maintenance; premises security; travel, Organizing Events including conferences/workshops, hotel and guest houses accommodation; and ensure front desk operations
- Support the HR/Admn Coordinator to monitor Wajir office utilities costs e.g. water, electricity, telephone/Mobile usage and billing and others; prepares monthly trend reports.
- Develops and implements new cost efficient administrative systems such as paper waste management; electricity conservation; water management; among others
- Ensure utmost cleanliness and any minor repairs for the Office Premises is maintained by the staff responsible
- Proper Management of inventory at the Administration and kitchen stores.
- Support the HR/Admn Coordinator in the efficient management of the Office and two guest houses.
- Support the HR/Admn Coordinator in ensuring compliance with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
- In liaison with the HR Coordinator, ensure that all staff understand and observe the CPP and Code of Conduct
- Put together the policy documents and any other required documents for induction of new staff
- Perform any other duties assigned as assigned by the HR/Admn.Coordinator.
- Delivering Results: Takes personal responsibility and holds others to account to deliver our ambitious goals for children, continually improving own performance or that of the team / organisation.
- Developing Self and Others: Invests time and energy to actively develop self and others to help realise their full potential, and to build the organisation’s capability for the future.
- Leading and Inspiring Others: Demonstrates leadership in all our work, role models our values and articulates a compelling vision to inspire others to achieve goals for our children.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making: Takes effective, considered and timely decisions by gathering and evaluating relevant information from within or outside the organisation and making appropriate judgements.
- Applying Technical Expertise: Applies the required technical and professional expertise to the highest standards, promotes and shares best practices within and outside the organisation.
- Innovating and Adapting: Develops and implements innovative solutions to adapt and succeed in an ever – changing, uncertain work and global environment.
- Working Effectively with others: Works collaboratively to achieve shared goals and thrives on diversity of people and perspectives. Knows when to lead and when to follow and how to ensure effective cross- boundary working.
- Communicating with Impact: Communicates clearly and confidently with others to engage and Influence, Promotes dialogue and ensures timely and appropriate messages, building confidence and trust with others.
- Networking: Builds and uses sustainable relationships and networks to support the work of Save the Children.
Qualifications and Experience
- A first degree in business administration/equivalent
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in a similar role
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Ability to manage multiple requests and to liaise with several different departments.
- Assertive and pro-active, with the ability to work on own initiative with little supervision.
- Ability to cope with varying workloads and interruptions and to organize activities to provide efficient services
- Comply with the requirements of Save the Children’s Child Safeguarding Policy and other Global Policies
- Fluent in English and Swahili
- Commitment to Save the Children Values
- Good organizational, planning and interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage workload and prioritize activities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to solve problems
How to Apply
- Interested candidates are required to submit a CV and mandatory Cover letter indicating the Position they are applying for in the subject line to [email protected] by 30th March 2016.
- Hand delivered applications will not be accepted.
- Due to the urgency of having the two posts filled, applications will be reviewed as they are received.