Save the Children
Position Name: Campaign and Communication Assistant
Contract duration: 2 months
Team / Programme: Advocacy and Communications
Post Type: National (Fixed Term of 2 Months, September – October 2015).
Child Safeguarding: Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people.
Role Purpose: The Campaigns and Communications Assistant will support the Country Office in delivering the Action 2015 Campaign’ objectives in a timely and accurate manner for a period of 2 months beginning September.
Scope of Role:
Start Date Requirement: Be ready to start by 10th September 2015.
Reports to: Action 2015 Campaign Manager
Dimensions: Inspired by the opportunity presented by the agreement of the new development framework and the culmination of climate negotiations, Save the Children is working in coalition with a huge range of partners to build a global campaign to add profile and urgency to the context within which these frameworks are negotiated.
Scope of Role: The Action/2015 campaign will be a radically inclusive ‘flotilla’, creating a compelling umbrella brand and narrative that will bring together and empower existing campaigns and dramatically increase public and political awareness of their issues.
We are now recruiting the key role of Action/2015 Campaign and Communications Assistant, to support the alignment of this global coalition behind the agreement of ambitious goals in 2015 for a period of two months.
Staff directly reporting to this post: N\A
Key Areas of Accountability:
- Support the Campaigns Manager to develop and implement the annual communications plan to ensure excellent communication within the campaign and externally to supporters, stakeholder’s, and the general public.
- Research, write, edit, update and proof read a range of materials for both internal and external audiences to ensure consistency and compliance with branding, values, key messages and style guidelines.
- Liaise with external suppliers, distribute briefs and obtain quotes for specific pieces of work, ensuring that best value is achieved for the work. To monitor and review agreements with suppliers accordingly.
- Produce and distribute high quality internal and external online and print communique, including email.
- Research and coordinate opportunities for raising the profile of the Campaign externally, including speaking opportunities; conferences and exhibitions; awards entries; and contributions to external publications.
- Provide administrative support to the communications function, including arranging meetings; logging media coverage and maintaining press clippings files; and updating forward planning Schedules.
- Act as the first point of enquiry for information, communications and branding queries internally and externally, including supplying logos and brand guidelines and providing advice to colleagues and stakeholder’s on communications and branding issues as appropriate.
- Support the Communications Manager to organise external launches and events, and internal programme meetings and events.
- Be the Digital lead; updating and editing the website and provide social media cover as needed.
Communications and Campaign:
- Manage the media tracking component of the Action 2015 Campaign.
- Initiates and contributes to the design, implementation and oversight of communications strategies for the campaign and program/portfolio teams.
- Serves as a partner with other communications leaders in executing on team-specific and organization-wide strategic communications objectives.
- Provides communications input to program/portfolio teams.
- Extensively uses social media and traditional media relations to promote the work and expand the reach of Action 2015 and Save the Children.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the changing landscape of public interest communications and a willingness to experiment with new channels to reach new audiences.
- Active involvement in Action 2015 coalition building and representation of Save the Children in meetings in the absence of the Manager.
- Prepares monthly summary of communications activities and achievements.
- Learning, Dissemination, Audience Identification and Development
- Implements and manages Save the Children’s communications model that fosters impact.
- Collaborates with Manager to develop plans to disseminate research products that demonstrate organization-wide impact, including content to be featured on website.
- Organization and Field Contributions
- Provides communications support to members of senior management in preparation for public appearances; prepares support materials for meetings and media outreach opportunities.
- Participates in conferences, seminars and other professional development activities to maintain and enhance professional status.
Delivering Results: Takes personal responsibility and holds others to account to deliver our ambitious goals for children, continually improving own performance or that of the team/organisation.
Developing Self and Others: Invests time and energy to actively develop self and others to help realise their full potential, and to build the organisation’s capability for the future.
Leading and Inspiring Others: Demonstrates leadership in all our work, role models our values and articulates a compelling vision to inspire others to achieve goals for our children.
Problem Solving and Decision Making: Takes effective, considered and timely decisions by gathering and evaluating relevant information from within or outside the organisation and making appropriate judgements.
Applying Technical Expertise: Applies the required technical and professional expertise to the highest standards, promotes and shares best practices within and outside the organisation.
Innovating and Adapting: Develops and implements innovative solutions to adapt and succeed in an ever – changing, uncertain work and global environment.
Working Effectively with others: Works collaboratively to achieve shared goals and thrives on diversity of people and perspectives. Knows when to lead and when to follow and how to ensure effective cross- boundary working.
Communicating with Impact: Communicates clearly and confidently with others to engage and Influence, Promotes dialogue and ensures timely and appropriate messages, building confidence and trust with others.
Networking: Builds and uses sustainable relationships and networks to support the work of Save the Children.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in any field.
- Experience in campaigns and communications may be considered an advantage.
- Excellent social media and online strategist.
- Events planning, organization and implementation.
- Strong working computer skills – Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing and negotiation.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets
- Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in
- Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner
- An eloquent and bold public speaker and writer with mastery of verbal and written English and Swahili.
- Commitment to Save the Children values.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are required to submit a CV and mandatory Cover letter to [email protected] with a copy to [email protected] indicating the Position Code on the subject line by 7th September 2015.
Applications will be reviewed as and when they are received.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.