The Security Officer position is the sole security advisor and security focal point for Marie Stopes Kenya and is a national team member post.
Reporting to the Director – Procurement, Logistics & Security, the Security Officer will be responsible for fostering a culture of safety and security amongst team members and developing a strong organisational security management infrastructure.
This will be achieved through: regular analysis of the security and operating environment in Kenya; analysing critical incidents affecting MSK and INGOs; developing and managing safety and security guidelines and Standard Operating Procedures; providing security briefings to all international visitors and conduct security inductions with all new team members; integrating security policy to all business areas; and developing and testing contingency plans.
S/he will the first responder to any critical incident, and will review and make recommendations to the Country Management Team regarding safety and security management. Prepare reports on internal investigations, losses, or violations of regulations, policies and procedures. Identify, investigate or resolve security breaches.
Security Officer Job Responsibilities
- Overall responsibility for ensuring MSK continually meets its Duty of Care requirements in relation to security management and in line with MSI’s Global Security Framework
- Create and update the MSK National Essential Security Package (ESP) (including Welcome Pack, Threat Levels, Context Analysis, Risk Assessment, Standard Operating Procedures, Contingency Plans,
- Support MSK managers to create and update Regional ESPs (including Threat Levels, Context Analysis, Risk Analysis, Standard Operating Procedures, Contingency Plans, and Crisis Management)
- Management of day to day security incidents affecting MSK team members, assets and reputation
- Briefing and debriefing of all programme visitors, new and existing team members
- Ensure a high level of procedural and physical security measures are in place at all MSK premises, including access control, visitor protocols, key management, and appropriate branding / visibility.
understood and appropriately used by all relevant staff members
- Contractual management of security guards and private security companies, including agreeing, checking and enforcing SOPs and performance.
- Renewal of contracts and management of payments to security communications and tracking suppliers.
- Focal person for investigations involving security breaches
- Report any significant security breaches to Director – P & D
Crisis Management Support
- Delivery of Crisis Management Training to the Crisis Management Team (CMT)
- Activate and ensure adherence to crisis protocol and procedures
- Advise the Country Director, CMT Lead and Supporter on possible actions, scenarios and outcomes during a crisis
- Ensure that decisions fully address duty of care requirements and maintain log book
- Provide links to external risk management specialists and Kenya security networks
Human Resources Support
- Assist HR with the security aspect of recruitment, selection, on-boarding and training of MSK positions with security responsibilities (e.g. Regional Managers)
- Successful technical management of the above positions
- Develop capacity within the country programme through training needs identification, training delivery and on the job support.
- Provide a security induction briefings to all new team members
- Attend and contribute to external security networks (Donor, Humanitarian Forums)
- Actively develop and maintain security influencer networks with a full range of stakeholders including community leaders, NGOs, donors, NGO security forums, government, police, armed forces, intelligence agencies, private security companies
- Continued contact, discussion and strategic planning with MSI’s Global Security Officer
- Ensure that MSK premises, vehicles and assets are free from hazards, safe and well prepared in terms of fire, natural disaster and general safety.
- Prepare and coordinate fire and natural disaster safety drills in all locations.
Qualifications for the Security Officer Job
- Relevant university degree, preferably security management or international development
- Relevant security management training certificates (personal security, security manager, abduction, risk assessment, hostile environment awareness)
- Have served in disciplined forces and attained the rank of Captain or Chief Inspector
- Training in investigations / security intelligence gathering
- First Aid training
- At least 5-10 years of experience in a similar role with NGOs, with extensive experience in implementing security management procedures
- Extensive experience working in Kenya.
- Experience with budget creation and management is desirable
- Experience in administration
How to Apply
Applications quoting the position title with a detailed CV, contact details of 3 referees including their email addresses (1 of which should be your immediate supervisor, 1 former supervisor and 1 any other but not a relative) should be submitted to: [email protected] on or before September 22, 2017.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If we do not contact you by September 30, 2017, please consider yourself unsuccessful.