Job Title: Senior Admin/Finance Associate
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position No.: 10016804
Vacancy Notice No.: 020/2017
Duty Station: Hoima, Uganda
Position Grade: GL7
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Senior Admin/Finance Associate is responsible for assisting the concerned manager in the implementation of general administrative and financial management tasks. She/he will work quite independently on regular assignments with an oversight from the supervisor, who will provide general guidance and work plans for identifying work priorities and appropriate approaches; work is controlled for meeting expected results and conformity to policy and procedures. The incumbent directly supervises some support staff.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Analyses and maintains an overview of the work of the office to ensure that timely administrative support is provided in general and specialised areas.
- Takes part in the recruitment and training of General Service staff for specialised and non-specialised work.
- In charge of the maintenance of cash books, including control of disbursements and balancing of books and ledgers. reconciliation of cash books with the bank statements.
- Orders actions from officials of local banks and financial institutions and obtain day to day information on exchange interest rates, financial regulations and procedures.
- Tasked with the preparation of financial data for budget estimates and financial planning. Maintenance of ledgers and accounting records for classification and recording of financial transactions and for the reconciliation of accounts and preparation of recurring or special reports.
- Responsible for the calculation of allowances, travel claims and other payments to vendors, staff members and other claimants, experts and consultants.
- Perform personnel administration tasks including interpretation and processing entitlements, issuance of contracts and maintenance of various personnel records and files.
- Prepares, updates, maintains inventory records of non-expendable equipment. Orders and controls stationery supplies.
- Keenly monitors, controls and ensures proper implementation of assistance projects, processes and prepares related transactions, financial and administrative documents and maintains contacts with IPs and authorities, regarding UNHCRs projects. Organize meetings with IPs to evaluate financial performance.
- Briefs both international and national personnel on general administrative matters, provides advice and ensures administrative support as required.
- Performs any other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Senior Admin/Finance Associate job opportunity should have completed Secondary Education with post-secondary courses/training/diploma in Accounting or Business Administration., Commerce or Advanced Training in Finance;
- At least eleven years of previous job experience relevant to the function;
- Broad knowledge of UNHCR/UN administrative and financial rules and regulations;
- Computer skills (MS office and People soft applications)
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language (as applicable in the duty station).
- Knowledge and working experience of MSRP Finance and EPM Budget applications.
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 19th June 2017