Job Title: Senior Executive Assistant
Organization: World Bank
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Job #: 161241
About World Bank:
The World Bank is a vital source of financial and technical assistance to developing countries around the world. Established in 1944, the WBG is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for development solutions. In fiscal year 2014, the WBG committed $65.6 billion in loans, grants, equity investments and guarantees to its members and private businesses, of which $22.2 billion was concessional finance to its poorest members. It is governed by 188 member countries and delivers services out of 120 offices with nearly 15,000 staff located globally. The World Bank provides low-interest loans, zero to low-interest credits, and grants to developing countries. These support a wide array of investments in such areas as education, health, public administration, infrastructure, financial and private sector development, agriculture, and environmental and natural resource management. Some of our projects are co-financed with governments, other multilateral institutions, commercial banks, export credit agencies, and private sector investors.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: The Senior Executive Assistant will be responsible for the following:
- Managing the Country Manager’s Office:
- Manages the Country Manager‘s schedule; organizes and coordinates relevant briefing or background material for meetings.
- Screens and prioritizes incoming correspondence and messages to the CM, independently responding to extensive and diverse inquiries, liaising with others in the CMU, including Washington and making independent decisions when multiple courses of actions are required.
- Keenly monitors and follows up on issues related to the Country Manager’s function and ensures that relevant staff members are informed.
- Handles sensitive and confidential information.
- Ensures timely submission and review of briefing materials and appropriate follow-up actions, making sure materials are presented to the Country Manager for review prior to meetings.
- Initiates and coordinates all aspects of the CM’s travel schedule (i.e., SAP, ticket and hotel reservations, visa requests, etc.) including coordinating the travel and protocol needs of the Country Manager while on mission.
- The jobholder also drafts correspondence and prepares and ensures adherence to administrative guidelines and overall quality of outputs requiring the Country Manager’s signature.
- Provides general research support and utilizes all relevant computer software to retrieve, maintain and manipulate data and independently respond to diverse inquiries and make decisions when multiple courses of action are possible.
- Establishes and maintains relevant files and databases for the country office.
- Ensures the quality and timeliness of information emanating from the front office; independently decides and follows through on appropriate dissemination of information to staff by sharing reports, status updates and other information as necessary.
- Serves as the first point of contact and liaison with an extensive network of contacts at the most senior levels, both internally and externally. Provide follow-up on required actions and monitors compliance.
- Responds to diverse inquiries and makes decisions when multiple courses of action are possible.
- Establishes and maintains an effective network of contacts with Government officials at the most highest level.
- Representation and Liaison:
- Provide guidance, leadership and direction within the Country Office to facilitate a changing work environment and a strong communication flow among virtual teams. Coordinate with the Kenya and Rwanda based Senior/Executive Assistants and Washington based staff (Anchor Unit, assuring smooth functioning of the Country Office (CO).
- Interact with an extensive network of contacts at the most senior level (both internal and external) and exercise judgment, tact and discretion in answering and/or redirecting inquiries to appropriate sources and in dealing with sensitive or highly confidential matters. Maintain an effective network with the Client to ensure effective cooperation in support of CO and Bank program needs.
- Independently organize high level events such as client and donor meetings and workshops and high level visits.
- Leadership of the Administrative Client Support (ACS) staff:
- Assume responsibility for the overall quality of delivery, organization and coordination of office administrative support work.
- Responsible for maintaining overview of the ACS work program and workload by collaborating and coordinating with task team members on staffing, scheduling and resolving work priorities.
- Works closely with the Senior Human Resources Business Partner (S-HRBP) based in Kenya to interview, select, coach and mentor CO ACS and participates in decisions related to staffing and performance of the ACS mapped to AFMUG.
- Serve as a role model, promoting collaboration, quality work and development of team members. Works with the ACS and CO staff to anticipate and resolve a variety of conflict situations.
- Plays a significant leadership role with respect to all issues related to ACS staff in the country office and in the region, including participating in cross-regional and institutional activities.
- Ensures the smooth operation of the office support work and related systems by assuming primary responsibility for organizing and coordinating workflow and for overall administration and supervision of the ACS team. This includes coordination and monitoring of multiple and diverse work processes and activities to ensure that management decisions and directives are properly carried forward.
- Plays a significant role in identifying and addressing issues pertaining to ACS and their work within the country office. S/he is expected to provide guidance, leadership, and direction to facilitate a forward-thinking work environment, to be proactive in resolving challenges in a productive way, and to promote knowledge-sharing among the ACS.
- Assess and evaluate the training needs for ACS staff in the CO, through the information and Learning Plans, and coordinates with the relevant stakeholders.
- Provide overall guidance and feedback to ACS staff by providing primary input to their Performance Evaluation. Plays a significant leadership role with respect to all issues related to ACS.
- Country Office Management:
- Ensure effective operation of the CM’s Front Office, correspondence flow and specifically IRIS/WBdocs/Records management. Works closely with, and supports the Senior Operations Officer as needed.
- As a member of the Country Office Management team, work with Shared Services team based in Uganda to ensure that efficiency and cost effectiveness are achieved in the office.
- Support to Operations/Research:
- Update tables on ongoing and pipeline operations
- Provide support in compiling of quarterly portfolio reports
- Provide assistance to compiling of Country Assistance Strategy (CAS) status report
- Research for Country Manager’s presentations and meetings with Government and other partners.
- Outreach work:
- The incumbent will be the focal point person for regional and institutional activities involving level GA to GD staff in the country office.
- S/he will be the liaison person with Washington, CMU and the country department.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the World Bank Senior Executive Assistant vacancy should hold a High School Diploma. Candidates with Bachelor’s degree in business administration or social sciences will have an advantage.
- At least seven years of direct relevant experience.
- Extensive and diverse experience, and in-depth knowledge of the full range of Bank Group processes, policies and procedures
- Previous exposure and experience in dealing with senior officials both within and outside the Bank, previous experience or exposure as an Executive Assistant is an advantage.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including ability to draft and edit a variety of correspondence and ensure quality of written outputs for clarity of message. Ability to draft correspondence on a range of topics and ensure quality of documents requiring approval and/or signature
- Excellent interpersonal and intercultural communications skills; maturity and ability to interact responsively and tactfully with staff at all levels, with demonstrated good judgment and discretion.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to multitask and judge priorities under extremely tight deadlines.
- Proven ability to ensure total discretion, confidentiality and strong personal ethics.
- Demonstrated ability to be proactive, exercise sound judgment, and use problem-solving skills in dealing with unexpected situations, often under pressure.
- Excellent track record in areas such as judgment, reliability, resourcefulness and flexibility, it is important that the candidate have a positive attitude, be a self-starter and maintain composure under stressful situations.
- Ability to coach and mentor junior ACS staff.
- Ability to create a positive and cohesive team environment within the Country Office and in dealing with the other units in the country office.
- Expert use of all relevant computer software using advanced functions on Bank standard computer applications, in particular: MS Word, Excel & PowerPoint, Outlook, SAP, Internet Explorer.
- Effective analytical, research, innovative and problem-solving skills.
- High degree of independence, motivation, initiative and reliability.
- Flexibility and willingness to adjust scope of responsibilities.
- Flexibility with working hours and willingness to work overtime.
- Technology and systems Knowledge – Has advanced proficiency of latest technology relevant to assigned responsibilities. Demonstrates initiative in learning and/or supporting implementation of emerging technology and systems relevant to effective work of the unit.
- Project and task management – Able to organize, coordinate, monitor and implement tasks and projects. Demonstrates ownership and accountability for results. Demonstrates innovation and creativity in promoting effectives.
- Institutional policies, processes, and procedures – Demonstrates in-depth and up-to-date knowledge of administrative and policy guidelines, practices, products and services in area of assigned functional responsibility; can guide others in complex situations.
- Versatility and adaptability – Able to anticipate, facilitate and catalyse change in the business environment and accurately assess the need for new skills and knowledge. Demonstrates continued learning attitude, supporting others in their learning and change management efforts.
- Team Leadership (ACS) – Provides direction to the team, making changes to processes as needed to support progress. Encourages others to grow by providing guidance, stretch assignments, & learning opportunities. Plays an active role in the unit-wide leadership teams.
- Client Orientation – Able to establish partnership based working relationships with internal/external clients. Demonstrates independence, initiative, and autonomy in addressing clients’ needs.
- Drive for Results – Takes personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results, and has the personal organization to do so.
- Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion – Collaborates with other team members and contributes productively to the team’s work and output, demonstrating respect for different points of view.
- Knowledge, Learning and Communication – Able to research and draft quality written materials or review adherence of written materials prepared by others to administrative requirements. Able to mentor and guide, and organize learning activities within area of assigned responsibilities.
- Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making – Able to use analytical, problem-solving skills and resourcefulness to make informed and practical decisions to carry out own work. Able to advice on information usage and storage, and policies in the area of assigned responsibilities.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join the World Bank in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to send their applications Online by reviewing details at the web link below and clicking Apply Now on getting a broader insight of vacancy.
Deadline: 2nd June 2016